DENVER (CBS4)– A patrol officer with the Denver Police Department who was fired for allegedly having sex on the job may be reinstated.

A CBS4 Investigation in May revealed that the city fired Stephanie Southard, an eight-year veteran of the patrol division, and her married boyfriend resigned, after he admitted the two had sex while they were both on duty “approximately 25-30 times” over the course of a year and a half.

Stephanie Southard (credit: Facebook)

Stephanie Southard (credit: Facebook)

Southard was fired for violating three department rules including sexual misconduct and lying about having sex on duty. Her boyfriend, Officer Nathan Sanchez, resigned after he admitted the sexual contact with Southard while both were on the clock.

Southard’s attorney, Sean Olson, claims the accusations were made up.

“I’m very happy and I’m very happy for Officer Southard,” said Olson.

After a hearing last month, the Civil Service Commission recommended Southard be reinstated as an officer.

Olson said the ruling is not a surprise, “Miss Southard has always denied from day one that anything untoward happened while the two were on duty.”

Hearing officer Hazel Hanley found that Sanchez changed his stories several times and was “not credible on any disputed fact.”

“She actually called Sanchez an inveterate liar. She believed nothing that came out of that guy’s mouth,” said Olson.

Sanchez testified that when he tried to end their 1½ year relationship, Southard punched him in the face and put a gun to her head. Southard admitted having a relationship with Sanchez but denied ever having sex with Sanchez while on duty.

Barring an appeal, she will be back on the job patrolling the streets of Denver.

“Officer Southard is a good police officer,” said Olson. “She’s made mistakes just like the rest of us in our lifetimes. She should be given the opportunity to move beyond those mistakes.”

Denver Public Safety Director Stephanie O’Malley sent CBS4 this statement, “We are disappointed in the hearing officer’s decision and will confer with the city attorney before deciding how to proceed.”

If there is no appeal, Southard could be back on the job in a few weeks.


Leave a Reply