DENVER (CBS4) – With Union Station’s big re-opening later this summer, construction crews have uncovered some old treasures. Some of the items are from the year 1900 or earlier.
There’s new artwork from local artists being hung in new hotel rooms, but interspersed with the glitz will be some relics from the rail station’s history. Nobody had any idea the original benches at Union Station held chapters of Denver history inside.
“Some of it was barely legible,” art consultant Molly Casey said. “Old luggage tickets, so hopefully those people actually got their luggage.”
And old time Hollywood star cards.
“People used to collect Hollywood icon cards,” Casey said.
They were caked with dirt. Now they’re polished, preserved, framed and ready to adorn the walls with a blend of new and old.
There are original linen blueprints for the 1914 expansion to the station.
“Linen is something architects used before they started moving to paper,” Casey said.
Union Station will offer transportation, retail, food and drink — but the artistic consultants hope visitors will drink in the history hung around almost every corner.
All of the historical items will be displayed in the public areas of Union Station so that everyone can enjoy them.
- Union Station Provides ‘Perfect Place’ For Author & Soldier To Honor Fallen Officer
- Tank At Union Station Saturday To Honor WWII Heroes
- ‘Pissed Off’ No More: Neighbors Along RTD’s A Line Celebrate No Train Horns
- RTD ‘Quiet Zones’: Trains On A Line Won’t Sound Horns At 9 Crossings
- A Line Quiet Zones Will Go Into Effect March 1
- A Line Celebrates 1,000th Day Of Service
- RTD: Software Fix Coming Soon For A Line, Plans To Start G Line Service
- RTD Has One Day Left To Present Plan Fix To A Line
- 4 Fun Things To Do This Weekend
- Holiday Season Shines In Denver
- Federal Railroad Administration Gives RTD 2 Weeks To Present Fix To A Line
- ‘I’m A F***ing Cop’: Glendale Police Officer’s Tirade Caught On Camera
- Regulators Threaten To Shut Down A Line
- Businesses Hope Customers Shop Local For Small Business Saturday
- 4 Things To Do This Weekend