AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – Crews rescued a large number of cats from inside an apartment in Aurora on Thursday.
Aurora code enforcers were responding to a water leak on Walden Road near Buckley Air Force Base. When they arrived the smell of ammonia was so intense that the unit had to be sealed.READ MORE: Blue Angels Jet Makes Emergency Landing At Great Colorado Air Show
Neighbors said they could smell the run-down unit through their walls.READ MORE: Marijuana Social Equity Fair Seeks To Level The Playing Field For Communities Of Color
“It was unbearable. I would come in and it was all in my closet. All in my bathroom (had) the smell. I would walk in and it was like a mask hit me,” Delmar Mulwee said.MORE NEWS: Hikers Discouraged From Climbing Kit Carson Peak As Madeline Baharlou-Quivey's Body Recovered
An animal recovery team was called to the scene and they said they couldn’t even go inside the apartment without wearing respirators.