AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – A fire started overnight at the Veterans Affairs hospital construction site in Aurora after a propane tank exploded.

One of two 1,000 pound propane tanks at the site exploded shortly after midnight Tuesday.

The blast shook the people who were on scene but fortunately no one was hurt. It happened just as night security guard Jen Burke was making rounds and was about 40 feet away from the explosion.

“I was in my guard shack, I had just finished doing foot patrol and I didn’t see anything unusual. When I got back to my shack I was taking notes about what I had not seen and I heard a loud noise like a dumpster being dropped, and I went outside to investigate and saw the glow of fire,” Burke said.

The fire department decided to let the propane burn off.

Investigators are still trying to determine why the tank exploded.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s