(credit: YURI CORTEZ/AFP/Getty Images)

(credit: YURI CORTEZ/AFP/Getty Images)

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – Animal care experts are sending out a warning about snake dangers after a dog nearly died when it was bitten by a rattlesnake last month.

The dog is 4 years old and named Annie. Employees with the Veterinary Referral Center of Colorado said she is recovering at home in Ken Caryl Ranch after the episode.

READ MORE: USGS Reports 2.8 Magnitude Earthquake Near Aspen Saturday Night

Annie (credit: Veterinary Referral Center of Colorado)

Annie’s owner Valan Cover said the animal put her nose in a hole in her backyard and made a distressed noise. He said he saw the she had been bitten in the eye and then took her to the Veterinary Referral Center, which is located on the 900 block of West Jefferson Avenue in Englewood.

“The fact she lived at all was sort of a surprise to some of the doctors,” Cover said. “It bit her three times right on the eye orbit area, some of them puncturing the cornea itself.”

The dog went into respiratory arrest after vomiting and looking very ill. Employees at the center revived her and she went on to have several seizures. Veterinarians treated her with anti-venom and eventually she was able to return home.

“Her eye was so far back inside, the swelling, it couldn’t be examined for a couple weeks,” Cover said.

READ MORE: 'It's A Team Job': Volunteers Prepare Colorado Lands For Possible Challenging Wild Fire Year

Dr. Luke Rump says Annie got lucky.

“I doubt that she’ll see out of it but we’re hoping to save eyeball,” Rump said.

Cover said Annie’s 4-day hospital stay set him back approximately $20,000.

Officials with the center said they have seen several other cases of dogs getting rattlesnake bites recently and want to remind pet owners to watch out for venomous snakes in backyards.

MORE NEWS: Raise The Future Needs The Colorado Community To Come Together Around Youth Living In Foster Care

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT: To see another photo of the dog’s wound, click here.