MONUMENT, Colo. (CBS4) – A girl who borrowed a friend’s asthma inhaler at school has now been expelled.

The incident happened in January at Lewis-Palmer Middle School in Monument. Both the girls and their families are unhappy with the punishment.

The school’s punishment strikes one of the families as uneven justice. The school said the girls broke the district’s drug policy. Their families call the incident an accident and the school’s discipline heavy-handed.

For 10 days Breana Crites and Alyssa McKinney sat at home while suspended from school. The two were in gym class. Crites complained of trouble breathing, so McKinney lent out her asthma inhaler.

“I know what it feels like not to being able to breathe and I know how hard it is and I just took that into consideration,” McKinney said.

The two were sent home. Two weeks later McKinney was allowed to return. Crites however, was expelled.

“She should be back in school,” McKinney said.

“I think absolutely the suspension was appropriate,” Superintendent John Borman told CBS4 in January.

School policy forbids the sharing of any prescription drug. A letter to the students said expulsion was always a possibility. The school district did not return calls about why McKinney was allowed to return but Crites was not.

“The lesson that I learned from this is not to help people, because helping people is just going to get yourself in trouble,” McKinney said.

McKinney father, Tim McKinney, says he doesn’t understand why his daughter’s friend was dismissed in the last semester before high school.

“You work so hard your whole life to instill good morals into your children only for the school to break them,” Tim McKinney said.

Tim McKinney says his daughter was allowed back because he pressed school officials to do so. He says he’s proud and expects his daughter would do the same thing again.

“What they both did was human nature. May daughter was being a good Samaritan. Her friend was having an asthma attack,” he said.

Crites family never returned CBS4’s calls for comment. McKinney was placed on deferred expulsion, meaning one mistake could throw her out of school as well.

Comments (429)
  1. беременность эко says:

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to give one thing back and help others like you aided me.

2. Poetry says:

hey there and thanks on your information ? I’ve certainly picked up something new from right here. I did alternatively expertise a few technical issues using this site, since I skilled to reload the web site a lot of times prior to I may just get it to load properly. I were brooding about in case your web host is OK? Now not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes impact your placement in google and can damage your quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m including this RSS to my e-mail and can glance out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

3. montreal escort says:

Wow, fantastic weblog structure! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you make blogging look easy. The overall glance of your web site is fantastic, let alone the content!

4. buy vpn account says:

Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I’m inspired! Very helpful info specifically the remaining part :) I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. Thanks and good luck.

5. spa massage montreal says:

I do trust all the ideas you have introduced on your post. They are very convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for novices. Could you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

6. montreal escorts says:

Thank you for the good writeup. It in truth used to be a leisure account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we keep up a correspondence?

7. buy vpn account says:

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable information to paintings on. You’ve done an impressive task and our whole community will be grateful to you.

8. papijump online says:

I like the helpful information you supply for your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I’m quite sure I’ll be informed many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

9. Monti Calabrese says:

Breana Crites I hope you see this. I wanted to say that i agree that you should not have been expelled and that i saw on the news that you have been getting cruel mail. Remember that people are idiots and even more so when there’s blood in the water. don’t take their comments seriously. Fools run with fools. Just remember that this isn’t your fault. You did nothing wrong and that no one can judge you on earth except yourself. In other words if their saying hurtful things its just their opinion.It only means something if you believe them. However I know it can it’s hard to just ignore everything. God bless.

10. Sir Trool says:

The school’s policy is a valid policy. The punishment is what is extreme. Zero tolerance has removed common sense and that is the problem.

11. russell pearce says:

no rules are rule the next time a situation like this arises let the girl almost die and have to go to the hospital and then lets see what they have to say about the rules when an alternative was available then sue the district into bankruptcy

12. Racecar says:

Wake up! Elections have Consequences. The people in that community got the government they wanted. Now they and their children have to live with it … that is until they change it.

13. Linda says:

When you can’t breathe, every second is like an eternity. I once rinsed off my inhaler and held it out in reach of someone who couldn’t breathe. She took it, she handed it back when the EMS arrived. The safest thing to do is make a pot of real coffee as strong as possible and give it to the asthmatic to drink if they choose. The new inhalers are much more dangerous, anyway most asthmatics know what they can use and what they shouldn’t use. She choose to use the borrowed inhaler. No expelling the gracious person who was trying to help – how wrong that is!

14. John says:

These are the F*****g idiots you leave your kids with? Sounds like a bad idea to me! Shes probably better off getting expelled, she can study at home and go to college early.

15. Allie F. says:

The school administratiors should be FIRED! The obviously have no clue what it is like not to be able to breathe during an asthma attack! Her fellow student should be rewarded for possibly saving her life. Just how dumb are these poeple???

16. ertdfg says:

Zero tolerance policy = zero tolerance for thought, rational behavior, discretion, or reasoned discourse.

If you’re not going to allow thinking, why do you bother having a school in the first place?

17. Keats says:

What happened to this country? It’s time to STOP TALKING. Are you people going to put up with this BS ? It’s time to fight.

18. Tony says:

What the girls did was wrong. Should they not be pushished for their actions. I have kids that have asthma, so I know what an attack it like. The girl with the breathing problem could have reported to a nurse or someone in authority. Then again, maybe we should let the state or the feds have them. In some states, this would be consider “possession with the intent to distribute”, which is a much more serious crime. Giving a prescription drug to another individual to whom which it has not been prescribed is a CRIME.

1. Keats says:

I hope nobody helps you when you are trying to breathe.

19. John Smith says:

Here we go agaiin. punishing someone who was not able to decern it was wrong was wrong. I’ll bet the law itself was so hidden it would be impossible for her to locate it idf she has intended to locate it…… We have been teaching pablum and no Constitution at all….. Yes, Many wou;d have argues using the Biboe as a moral compusm but neiither would you want the Koran. Pne afternoon, Betty sue might not be coming home due to “Stonong.”

20. Jeff says:

A few years ago in Westminster (Carroll County) Maryland the same thing happened. 2 girls who are close friends were riding home on the bus. One of the girls had a severe attach and couldn’t get to her inhaler. The other girl knowing that they had the exact same prescription lent her friend her inhaler. The attack was so severe that a medical unit was dispatched to the location of the bus. ER doctors stated that the action saved the girls life. Wasn’t until the county was about ready to run the Board of Education superintendant out of town on a rail was the suspensions dropped.
    My mother always told me that the longer you go to school the more common sense you lose. I guess our educators have lost all their

21. Matthew says:

It goes way beyond prescription drugs, we are not even allowed to send our children with two aspirin, or dayquil capsules when they are sick or when they have a headache. I would be willing to bet if the shared birth control pills it would have been ok.

22. Spanky T Smackme says:

The problem is the liberal one sided laws and proceedures…..They claim zero tolerance in the school and on school grounds, but I would say if that is true, HOLD A FACALTY PURSE AND POCKET DUMP to see how many of the teachers are in violation of the rules.

Too long have the liberal communists told us what to do, and always use the phrase to Protect the Children as the reason.

Time to take back our country and end this beauacratic BS obut minding everyone elses business. The governemnt knows whats best is a violation of the constituational RIGHT to pursuit of happiness and FREEDOM OF CHOICE.

23. Dave says:

This is merely one of the reasons I refuse to send my kids to public school. School employees absolutely refuse to use their brains, whatsoever. . . . . .

24. iamdan says:

When a School adminstrator gets involved, everything loses rational perspective. A school Administrator has no purpose in life, so when they get a simple task, they blow it out of proportion so they FEEL like they are important..

25. Stan says:

I have asthma, and have forgotten to have an inhaler on me. I had an attack , and thankfully someone had an inhaler on them and was willing to let me use it. Zero tolerance is bs … each case must be examined. This case was potentially life threatening.

26. Dave says:

@ Bob

You are the one displaying limited intelligence, as you think parents are supposed to just sit there and take whatever their government agent “educators” dish out.

As for the taxpayers, perhaps they should pay more attention to the government goons who are indoctrinating theire children.

It’s people like you that are the reason people like Barack Hussein Obama get elected.

-Dave

27. Kilber says:

School policy says that you cannot give out prescription drugs. It’s a written policy that parents and children are aware of before they even attend school. Not only is it a school policy, it is also a law. I am not allowed (as a grown adult) to give out any prescription medication. If the girl was having breathing problems, she can go to the nurse. If it’s bad enough, they can call an amulance and get the girl REAL medical help. Her friend was not helping by playing doctor.

As a matter of fact, when I first read this article, it said the girl had an adverse reaction to the inhaler, and that’s how they got busted.

1. Keats says:

She wasn’t playing doctor, she should be given an award for tyring to keep a friend alive by letting air pass into her lungs. that is more than the school board would have done. DIE IF YOU HAVE TO BUT FOLLOW THE RULES. You people have lost all common sense.

2. ertdfg says:

What a great lesson for everyone.

You can’t take care of yourself, individual action is bad, helping others is bad, doing anything other than relying on a government official to solve all your problems is bad.

Freedom, liberty, individual values and rights? BAD!

I’m so proud to live in a nation that was founded on a policy of having the government take care of everyone without any individual thought or action allowed.

Oh, that wasn’t what this country was founded on? Sorry, I was taught by a public school where thinking was shunned and a policy that could be applied without thought was good… I just assumed that was the lesson.

28. marg1 says:

Years from now, the expulsion will be looked at as a good thing. The quicker your children leave a public school in the formerly free USA the better.

Liberals are running all of the asylums–escape when you can.

29. dave m says:

Can we expell the school administration?

30. AlwysReady says:

Every day in America:

40,000 people miss school or work due to asthma.
    30,000 people have an asthma attack.
    5,000 people visit the emergency room due to asthma.
    1,000 people are admitted to the hospital due to asthma.
    11 people die from asthma.

Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, aafa.org.

Did you read that, 11 people die everyday from asthma, over 4,000 a year; nearly 44% of asthma hospitalizations are for children. The idiocy of some, maybe many, in the public school system, is unbearable, this child has no business being expelled from school. There are no statistics for people being injured or killed from using an inhaler; unless they have been using or not using one for an extended period of time, switching to one that is less effective, or the government bans the use of the best inhalers because they are causing “climate change.”
    I have asthma, I have been hospitalized several times over the years. I say again, I will use any inhaler that is available when I need one and I have used inhalers in the past that were not mine.
    The real danger is allowing this situation of overkill by government institutions to continue. I doesn’t matter how much it costs to stop this from continuing. If we do stop this now, they will be in your home telling you what to do.