COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (CBS4) – Thousands of people in the metro area will open their presents a little late this year because the day started out with 50,000 packages in limbo at the United Parcel Service holding facility in Commerce City.

A lot of the packages are locked up in the warehouse Christmas Eve. Even though UPS managers came in Christmas Eve to work the customer service desk, more than a few customers may find their gifts are missing under the Christmas tree on Sunday.

The line would grow, so would the frustration.

“He said, ‘If you haven’t prearranged to have your stuff picked up, it will be another two hours.’ So I said, ‘Why didn’t you tell me before I waited two hours in this line?’ ” Scarlett Crawford of Aurora said.

UPS managers tried to clear up customer confusion about where to pick up their packages. Employees kept ferrying some of the 50,000 undelivered packages from their warehouse hub nearby to the customer service building.

Some would get some of their gifts.

“I’ve got three of the four. The fourth I can wait until they deliver on Tuesday,” Shannon Gallagher of Commerce City said. “I was planning on being here quite awhile and I think it’s been four hours.”

But as day turned into night, many would get nothing.

A supervisor explained customers needed to be holding a delivery notice that was stuck to their door.

“If your package was not attempted and you don’t have one of these, we’re not going to find your package,” a supervisor said.

“They should’ve hired a whole lot more help,” Larry Hill of Denver said.

UPS blamed Thursday’s snowstorm. Their drivers have the option of avoiding slippery streets.

“The weather knocked us out of kilter,” the supervisor said.

But customers, with their Christmas spirit now damaged, were not so willing to accept weather as an excuse.

“I got out in my truck and I went to work that day, so it’s hard for me to believe a UPS truck can’t make it through in this kind of weather; and before Christmas you’d think they’d make the extra effort,” Rose McPhee of Denver said.

UPS says it’ll start rolling out the trucks again on Tuesday.

Some UPS customers said the U.S. Postal Service and Fed-Ex had no problems delivering their packages these past few days.

Comments (213)
  1. unlimited talk and text says:

certainly like your website but you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to tell the truth however I’ll definitely come back again.

2. Hanmer Springs says:

I cherished up to you will obtain carried out proper here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an impatience over that you would like be handing over the following. sick definitely come more formerly again since exactly the same just about a lot incessantly inside case you defend this increase.

3. tony says:

UPS blows, use USPS and never miss another Christmas…

4. Marty says:

The items we purchased via online retailers were not purchased “late.” Further, UPS guaranteed 2-day delivery which would have put our items on our doorstep on Wednesday, 12/22. Our packages reached Commerce City on Tuesday and could very well have been delivered on Wednesday BEFORE the storm hit. Let’s face it. UPS was behind and used “slippery roads” as an excuse.

We had UPS shipments delivered via a Budget Rent-a-Truck on Monday 12/20. They clearly have a manpower/truck issue.

5. Dave P. says:

Steve, The difference is Scott Davis! Only the brown package cars resemble the company you worked for.

6. Steve Cox says:

I’m a UPS retiree… I started in 1969. During my years at UPS there is no way that this could have happened. What has changed? Drivers have always had the last word when it comes to safety so that’s not it. I can recall stories where the management would happily hit the road to deliver packages that were mis-sorted or otherwise left in the ill-regular situation where an on-time delivery was jeopardized. I know 50,000 packages seems overwhelming, but they have an army of management staff that could have rose to the occasion. In my book there is no excuse and the board of directors should be punished.

7. jack says:

I use the Post Office every year, they get there every time and they are half the price.

8. Jack says:

This country is becoming a nation of whiners. UPS and UPS have never let me down. I’m thankful I don’t live in a country where I don’t get packages because bombs atre being dropped on my city every day. Thank you Veterans of all wars.

1. JB says:

Well Jack, you make sense……there are some things we actually should look at as actually very good, even it they do hit a bump or two….

1. JB says:

Sorry…..even IF…..

9. calonzap says:

Maybe instead of bit.hing and complaining about the delivery of your packages, you knuckle-heads should try to order a few days earlier next year. Ya’ think that might work?

10. Guest says:

Their Christmas spirit damaged??? Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was born and we are celebrating that fact. To have your Christmas spirit damaged because of a gift means you don’t have any Christmas spirit in the first place.

11. Eric says:

Don’t wait til the last minute to send stuff and you won’t have this issue

12. Mark S says:

Why was FedEx closed on Christmas Eve? Now that is poor service! Kudos goes to UPS for at least attempting to help us procastinators!

1. Eleanor says:

Maybe UPS was closed because they would like a Christmas Eve with their families instead of slaving away till 9pm due to people who waited too long to send their parcels. Offices close super early on Christmas Eve day, why not UPS? Just blame UPS, not the fact that people in general don’t consider the poor harried couriers who are expected to work overtime to accommodate their inability to mail early, then they just blame UPS if their packages don’t get delivered before Christmas.

13. kp says:

USPS. Government run. Horrible service. No competition. Bankrupt. And half the country wants government run healthcare???

Soon the headline will read: “50,000 patients in limbo at hospitals around the country.”

1. JB says:

You sound frightened….of something……somewhere…..

14. Rusty says:

I wanted to be a UPS driver helper on my days off (wed, thu and fri), UPS said: “NO baby, NO,NO and NO.”

15. Cody Frisch says:

The people of Colorado voted down Right To Work a few years ago, as a result UPS hires only lazy union workers. Hard working competitive folks who want to do a good job without having their paycheck robbed to pay union dues (to help re-elect Obama and get us some more of this hopeless changeless stuff) can’t work at UPS.

16. Tony says:

Its people’s fault! That’s what happens when they send their mess out late at the busiest time of the delivery year!!

17. David says:

Senders should of used Fedex, especially if it was a flat screen TV. May not get to your door, but at least it will get over the fence.

18. Mike says:

Postal service Is Much faster, never would even consider ups or FedEx unlss too large for usps

19. Newman says:

Sing along: “When it’s planes, in the sky, for a chain, of supplies, that’s Logistics.
    When the parts, for the line, come precisely, on time, that’s Logistics…”

20. DaveAgain says:

So-called customers in this country wants everything for nothing and they want it yesterday. Some businesses don’t have instantaneous scalability, If fickle customers all of a sudden increase demands or decide to wait until the last possible moment to do their part, then they ought to suffer for their procrastination.

If their own customers or employers put the same standards to their work, they’d probably be the first ones to whine about it.

21. Frank Hicks Healy says:

Man, if you waited this long to send a package, don’t gripe about it not getting there on time.

22. Sam says:

When unions are in, customer service and efficiency are out!

Hey Rupert, don’t give us the standard, pro-postal, union line proclaiming how hard they work. Myself and many others have spent close to an hour waiting in line at the post office while one clerk handles the customer load, and two others walk around aimlessly looking at themselves.

1. JB says:

Sam, the situation you describe is not unique to businesses with unions…..do you wait anywhere else? Is it really just the Postal Service? Bet you have waited in many lines at many “businesses” and most were not union…

23. Loren says:

UPS is unionized; FedEx is not. UPS is run for the convenience of its employees; FedEx is run for the convenience of customers. If you don’t believe that, watch the UPS trucks head back to the barn at 5 pm with undelivered packages, while FedEx rings your doorbell at 7 or 8 pm, making sure all of the deliveries on the truck are delivered.

1. Whipped says:

I punched out at 9:15pm 12/22/11 about half the UPS drivers were in the warehouse. I punched out at 10:10pm 12/23/11 Cerfew was 13hours.
      DOT limmits hours worked to 60 in a week. Most UPS drivers were at or near thier max.
      Heading in at 5:00. You lieing ignorant idiot. Please shut your pie hole

UPS MAN

1. Loren says:

Spoken like a true union man – toss out excuses – curfews, management, “DOT limmits” (sic), at or near limits . . . . I am sure you can find more excuses. The bottom line is that in the hundreds of deliveries I have received, FedEx has ALWAYS delivered on the promised date. About 25% of the time when UPS fails to deliver a package on the promised date, I call UPS, only to be told that the “driver timed out.” As I said before – UPS is run for the convenience of the employee, unlike FedEx which is run for the benefit of the customer.

2. Loren1 says:

3. whipped 2 says:

I deliver thousands of packages to hundreds of customers year round and very rarely do I not make service on packages. My customers are happy of the service they get. UPS was not the only company with failed service due to a foot of snow this christmas season. They just effect more people because they dwarf the amount packages the post office and FEDX handles. For you information LOREN there is no failed delivery attempt for timed out and your also lieing about 25% failure of timed pkgs. So shut your lieing pie hole.

UPS MAN

2. JB says:

Where do you live? UPS does not do what you claim in my area

3. jim says:

Loren-You are uninformed and inaccurate. UPS Drivers are employed by UPS and deliver to every house everyday, unless there is a risk they could become stranded or worse yet, injured. You were probably one of the people who procrastinated and ended up standing in line screaming like an idiot because you failed to ship your package early (as suggested). BTW, FDX was closed on Saturday and their ground drivers are not even FDX EMPLOYEES. They are paid per package and if they do not feel like delivering to an address, they simply dont have to. UPS Drivers dont have that flexibility on an normal operating week. Please become informed prior to sounding off. Merry Christmas to you

24. Joe says:

Its really funny, some of these comments defending UPS and their obviously poor management. Calling people lazy or saying they waited till the last minute is absurd since you’re obviously missing the bigger picture. There are tons of items you can find online that you cant get in a store, meaning you have to rely on a shipper. That doesnt make you lazy cause you didnt go to store and get it yourself. If you place an order with a vendor weeks/months in advance and they dont ship until a week or two before Christmas, that doesnt mean you waited till the last minute so you deserve a delayed/lost shipment. And if a shipper is touting their ability to ship on time to their vendors and customers, then they need to meet that commitment. The fact is UPS was caught with their pants down here. During the holidays most employers realize theres a holiday rush so they hire seasonal staff so they’re not shorthanded. UPS failed to realize that they would be seeing a LOT of extra business this time of year and they werent prepared. How they failed to realize this when most other businesses did is a mystery. Theres a holiday rush EVERY year, its not a new phenomenon. Further, Denver tends to get a lot a snow, particularly in December. Management should have better prepared for the snow as most agencies did, and they didnt and THATS the real problem here. Its bigger than a union issue, lazy driver/shopper, etc. Its about poor management.

1. whipped says:

Its this thing called SNOW idiot. Was UPS prepared? Yes. All was well in Commerce City on 12/21/11 minus this thing called SNOW in the mideast that was slowing trucks from getting to Denver. Then on 12/22/11 a foot of this stuff called SNOW landed in Denver. Do a bunch of UPS trucks and drivers just fly out of managements butt to compensate for SNOW. Shut your ignorant pie hole

UPS MAN

25. UPS Driver says:

as a UPS driver myself, keep in my we only get 60hrs a week by law. some of us worked many 14hr days this past week just to make sure customers got their packages.

26. Vee Kay says:

How’s that privatization workin’ out for you?

1. whipped says:

How is that public sector working for you? BANKRUPT

1. JB says:

Again a simple minded comment….

27. John says:

It is nothing more than union hacks using a loophole in their contract to stay home from work. Other companies delivered parcels during this snowstorm; other people went to work.
    Once society eliminates these lousy unions, then maybe companies can get items delivered on time.

1. Vee Kay says:

Those “other” companies had unions as well. I don’t get the point here…

2. WHIPPED says:

UPS is a private sector union that is profitable. USPS is a public sector union that is nearly bankrupt. there is a big difference.
      A foot of snow 3 days before christman caused delayes

1. JB says:

USPS situation is far more complex than your simple minded comment…

28. Concern says:

Unclaimed IGIVE.COM checks.
    sent only to valid e-mail addresses

29. Ellie says:

Part of the problem is people doing their last-minute shopping online because it’s “easier”. When it’s “easier” for you it’s more work for someone else. So now that work has backed up. If people had gone to a mall they would have their items in their hands and wouldn’t be standing in line for hours or yowling at UPS because UPS can’t deal with the backlog caused by last-minute shoppers and mailers. Quit blaming the couriers, just get your act together a bit earlier and things will be okay. This world is nuts.

30. Tim says:

Don’t blame the workers or even line management. I often see UPS workers running from their trucks to houses. No, this is probably another so-called “quality improvement” executive goal, some short sighted mandated cost cutting percentage. This nonsense is destroying American industry. These buffoons come out of business colleges and start dismantling what they don’t have the brains or vision to create.

31. kimdi01 says:

Why next Tuesday? Why not Saturday, and Monday? Why not a little overtime for volunteer drivers and Sunday? Is it all about the UPS, FedEx, USPS unions and not about the service they claim to give?

1. whipped says:

mostly DOT regulations.
      UPS did deliver on saturday but most drivers were out of hours(60 hours max per DOT in a week)
      And you dont know the business and how it works so shut your pie hole.

UPS MAN

32. Zipperhead says:

You can blame this entire mess on George W. Bush, go ahead and do it, you know you want to.

33. Catherine says:

But I’ve noticed that UPS does hire really cute drivers! Is this a prerequisite? j/k. I’ve never had any problems with UPS, FedEx or USPS… I’m sure it’s a pretty thankless job especially if they have to work on Christmas Day to get everyone’s Christmas packages out on time.

34. Dr Peter says:

When I saw what kind of people were waiting in line, I thought they were waiting for a government voucher for free stuff……NOT.

35. ejmagee says:

“Lighten up Francis”, even if UPS or FedEx delivers 99% on time (and they don’t this time of year, more like 93-95% ontime the Christmas week) that’s hundreds of thousands of packages not getting there on time. They both provide valuable services. The USPS is a great organization too (not as good as FDX/UPS since they lose tons of $………be grateful UPS and FedEx are there……otherwise we’d be doing lots of driving!

36. steve says:

easy to play monday morning quarterback. i work in distribution, and ship tens of thousands of packages a day with both fedex and ups. anyone with even a bit of sense would be amazed with what happens behind the scenes to get a package to their doorstep. the accuracy and efficiency are phenomenal. people are too self-absorbed and eager to point the bony finger of blame to the other guy. get over it.

merry christmas!

1. Davie says:

This is a spot-on comment.

37. Tom says:

UPS drivers are well paid, probably too well paid. I mean, c’mon, they walk to your door and put a box there. But I have to admit they hustle, I have seen UPS drivers actually trotting. When’s the last time you saw a Postal worker at a trot?

1. frankie says:

Yes Tom, we get a decent wage. But let me tell you, that wage is EARNED!! my friend. Unless you have worked for them, you just don’t really know what goes on in the inside. I’m not going to trash the Co. again, but the way that ups treats there employees, is like none other. The only thing that keeps us working there, frankly is the pay and benefits. Cause there’s no other reason. With all that, I have to admit that it is an absolute miracle the way one day at ups turns out to be so functional. It really is amazing. And along with everything else, yes, there are malfunctions. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

38. mo says:

UPS had a serious problem delivering on time..tracked a package that seemed to go between UPS distribution centers until it finally arrived 3 days late. website was all but useless in trying to place the package on hold as it was an international delivery. bah humbug to these folks…

39. steverino says:

UPS has always been top notch as far as I’m concerned. The USPS needs to go.. It is unnecessary. If you take away junk mial, I receive very little, all bills are autopay, all of which could be emailed.
    What’s with all of the Canada comments? As the Onion calls them:
    “Canada: America’s hat.”

40. static says:

Of the 50,000 packages that were reported to be in “limbo” how many were Christmas gifts? ,schools and businesses were closed and being held until they reopen so I’d say that accounted to the majority.
    A fun fact: UPS trucks are not the same as your personal vehicle they were never intended to be driven on slippery streets and if a driver has an accident he or she can and likely will be terminated, the bottom line: no package is worth being injured or killed or losing your your job for.
    If you have your info notice or a tracking number for your package and a legit ID for the address the package is being sent to you should have no problem getting it.
    UPS doesn’t control the weather you’ll have to take that up with GOD.

41. R R says:

This is an isolated incident in a stoner area, I have ex inlaws from Auroura and they smoke pot on a daily basis,not that I`m not for free choice ( Go Ron Paul) but don`t expect them to handle peak xmas rush!

42. Ron says:

YOU wait till the last minute to buy something – and blame UPS. It’s like the bad excuses people make for being late for work – just leave 15 minutes earlier! Just shop a few days earlier!!

43. Fred Friar says:

companies that only use UPS is OK provided they are shipping prepaid, However if you are payng the shipping cost then you s/b able to choose how the package is shipped. The excuse “we don;t have an account with FedEx” is not an excuse.

Remember the UPS strike? One day the Tamsters wil do it again leving customer high & dry. Fact with out UPS there would not be a Teamsters..

44. Santa says:

What can Brown Do To You? Take note folks, last minute online shopping will get ya every time, shop early, ship early.

45. Drew says:

Hey, stuff happens and UPS cannot control the weather. The world is not going to end if a gift is late. People need to calm down and don’t take it so seriously for crying out loud. Personally I would not stand in line for hours on end waiting for a package. I would just wait for them to deliver onj tuesday…..think of it as a bonus gift 2 days after Christmas. I be the kids would love that!

46. Livetra Jackson says:

These are same types you maroons wanted to take over from the post office last week