DENVER (CBS4) – A Denver chiropractor has reached a financial settlement with two contractors he blames for the electrocution of his dog.

Scott Evans said the agreement sends two strong messages. One is about the value of pets, and the other is about the importance of safety.

READ MORE: Colorado Weather: Quiet And Mild Until The Next Storm Arrives Tuesday

“She was very much a part of my family, a part of my life,” Evans said of his dog, Asha.

The Weimaraner helped fill the void after Evans’ sister died. But Asha died suddenly at 3 years old.

“It was definitely horrifying,” he said.

On Oct. 28, 2009, Evans and Asha were heading home from a nearby Starbucks. They cut through the parking lot behind his chiropractic office in the Highlands.

“As soon as we got to this area here she kind of yelped and screamed.”

READ MORE: Tri-County Health Investigating After Deer Trail School District Parents Claim Mask Mandate Is Being Ignored

When Evans tried to help he felt a powerful zap. Asha was being shocked with approximately 277 volts of electricity.

Evans and his attorney believe Asha was electrocuted because contractors who built the parking lot improperly installed a metal rod. They believe the rebar hit an underground power line, electrifying the surface.

Evans sued the contractors and have now settled for an undisclosed sum of money.

“It far exceeds replacement value of an animal,” Jennifer Edwards with the Animal Law Center said.

“The message is that animals are more than just what somebody pays for them,” Evans said. “A dog isn’t just like a piece of property or a chair.”

“We believe that we’ve sent a message to these contractors that they do need to be more careful,” Edwards said.

Evans told CBS4 he thinks he’s satisfied with the settlement. He said he will scatter Asha’s ashes in the mountains.

MORE NEWS: 'Shady... Cronyism' At Denver Parks And Rec Says City Council Member

The two contractors that settled with Evans are Sabell’s Enterprises and Palace Construction. Neither returned calls from CBS4.