DENVER (AP) – Construction workers have accidentally severed a 3-inch natural gas line at the Denver Zoo, prompting zoo keepers to move some birds indoors.

The accident occurred Tuesday morning before the zoo was open to the public.

Zoo spokeswoman Tiffany Barnhart says few animals were in the area of the break. She says some birds a nearby Asian Tropics exhibit were moved to their indoor enclosure.

A utility crew has been called to repair the line.

Crews were building a 10-acre Asian Tropics exhibit that will showcase endangered species including elephants, Indian rhinos and Malayan tapirs.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s