Sports Towns: Denver Vs. Kansas City
- Number Of Major Pro TeamsDenver Broncos, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Rockies, Denver NuggetsKansas City Chiefs, Kansas City Royals
- NFL SuccessDenver BroncosKansas City Chiefs
- ChampionshipsThe late 1990s-early 2000s were very good for Denver fans, who previous to that time had never seen one of their pro teams win it all during the modern era. The Broncos won the Super Bowl in 1997 and 1998. The Colorado Avalanche won the Stanley Cup in 1996 and again in 2001.The Royals won the World Series in 1985.
- NFL QBPeyton Manning frequently comes up in the conversation about best quarterbacks in the history of professional football.Alex Smith is solid, but he's no Peyton Manning.
- NFL StadiumSports Authority Field at Mile High has excellent amenities and can give opposing teams fits with its location one mile above sea level.Arrowhead Stadium has been renovated and is known league-wide as a challenging place for teams to come in and play the Kansas City Chiefs. It's loud, and the stadium is filled with fans in red.
- Food & DrinkAt the sports bars, Denver is the place to be if you want great beer to go with your game-watching experience. It's home to Coors, and Colorado's Front Range has several of the country's most popular microbreweries, including New Belgium and Oscar Blues.One word: barbecue
- NicknameMile High CityKC
- College Sports SceneIt's been a long time since college football in the state of Colorado made any major waves nationally. The basketball teams are getting better, and DU has great hockey and lacrosse.Just west of KC is Lawrence, home of the University of Kansas Jayhawks. The KU basketball team is so huge in the area it's almost like an NBA franchise. Kansas State football also is popular in the region.
- Major League BaseballThe Rockies haven't made it to the playoffs since 2009, but Coors Field does have that cool party deck ...The Royals haven't been to the postseason since 1985, but they won the World Series that year. That's one more championship than the Rockies have. There's also some renewed excitement over the franchise recently.
Thanks to Neal Jones, sports anchor and reporter/producer for KCTV5, for his help assembling this list. Jones pointed out that in addition to the Royals and the Chiefs, Kansas City has a very popular soccer team in Sporting Kansas City (they beat the Colorado Rapids 3-2 in March), a fun minor league baseball franchise and two annual NASCAR races.