Two Colorado cantaloupe farmers who pleaded guilty to charges related to a deadly listeria outbreak are meeting Tuesday with some of the family members of people who died, a spokesman for the U.S. Justice Department in Denver said.
The wife of a man who was among those who died in the cantaloupe listeria outbreak in 2011 wants a harsh punishment for the two brothers who pleaded guilty in federal court this week.
Two Colorado farmers whose cantaloupes were tied to a 2011 listeria outbreak that killed 33 people have pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges under a deal with federal prosecutors.
Two Colorado cantaloupe farmers plan to plead guilty under a deal with federal prosecutors in connection with the 2011 listeria outbreak that killed 33 people in the nation’s deadliest case of foodborne illness in a quarter century.
The owners of Jensen Farms who are charged with putting contaminated cantaloupes into the nation’s food supply in 2011 have made a plea deal and plan to plead guilty.
Criminal charges against two cantaloupe farmers over a deadly food-borne illness send an emphatic message to fruit and vegetable growers to crack down on safety, federal regulators said Friday.
Criminal charges have been filed in the 2011 listeria outbreak from cantaloupe that killed more than 30 people across the country.
A settlement is in the works in lawsuits against a Colorado farm identified as the source of a nationwide listeria outbreak last fall that killed at least 30 people, attorneys said Monday.
A Colorado cantaloupe grower whose farm was identified by federal authorities as the source of a listeria outbreak that killed 30 people last year was fined by the U.S. Department of Labor on Thursday for failing to provide safe migrant worker housing.
The Food and Drug Administration will be at Jensen Farms later this week to try to determine how the melons got contaminated.