Valerie Castro joined CBS4 as a reporter in 2010. She reports on CBS4 News at 5 p.m., CBS4 News at 6 p.m. and CBS4 News at 10 p.m.
Valerie served as a newsroom intern four years before the station hired her. She joined CBS4 from KOB-TV in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where she has spent several years as a reporter and anchor.
Valerie’s first reporting job was in the Four Corners area working for KOBF-TV in Farmington, New Mexico where she carried her own camera and tripod, shooting video, editing, anchoring and reporting.
“I’m thrilled to be part of the CBS4 news team,” Castro said after being hired. “I really enjoyed my time at the station as an intern and am excited to be back.”
This is a return home for Castro who grew up in Littleton, Colorado where she gradated from Mullen High School. She went on to attend the University of Colorado in Boulder where she graduated from the School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
While she has spent most of her life in Colorado, Valerie has also lived in several countries including the United Kingdom and the Netherlands. She’s a Spanish speaker and a member of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.
Valerie says, “Being a journalist is an incredible way to experience the world we live in and meet people from all walks of life.”
In her free time, Valerie enjoys going to the movies, running, reading, snowboarding, trying new restaurants and basking in the wonderful Colorado weather. She’s thrilled to be back home with friends and family and ready to cheer on the Broncos!
Check out her Twitter feed here.
Just The Facts
- Dream Interview My little sister in 10 years (she’s in college)
- Role Model My parents
- Job you would never attempt Working the CBS4 Assignment Desk. Our assignment editors can multi-task like nobody’s business.
- Alma Mater CU Boulder
- Star Sign Leo
- Year Hired 2009
- Why I am a journalist There’s no better job than meeting people and getting to learn their stories.
- Favorite Food My mother’s home cooking
- Favorite Sports Team Denver Broncos, CU Buffs
- Favorite Vacation Spot Any place with a rich history and culture
- Favorite Word Ciao!
- Least Favorite Word Procrastinate (although I’m very guilty of procrastinating)
- Favorite Noise A thunderstorm
- Least Favorite Noise A fork or knife scratching a plate
- What’s the biggest risk you’ve taken Becoming a TV reporter
Send A Message To Valerie
- 5 Years Ago: Windsor Tornado Apartment Fire In Fort Collins Greeley Freight Station Museum Rockies 5, Giants 0
- Colfax Marathon USOC Olympic Training Center... Making Strides Against Breast... Buckner Funken Jazz
- Colorado Mug Shots Flash Forward: Concept Cars... CBS4 Newscasters' Dogs Prince Harry Visits Colorado
- Broncos Rookie Minicamp Clear Creek Zipline Colorado Rockies 2013 YouReport Gallery, Spring 2013