CBS4′s Tom Mustin is the son of a three-star Navy Admiral. Living all over the world, he developed a great understanding of people from all walks of life and the ability to translate that knowledge into award-winning journalism.
Tom graduated from Virginia Tech with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics and a minor in English. He then attended UCLA to study broadcast journalism.
Tom began his television career as an intern at KABC-TV in Los Angeles. This led to his first job as a reporter at WVIR-TV in Charlottesville, Virginia. His next move was to WLBT-TV in Jackson, Mississippi, where he worked as the weekend anchor and reporter. While at WLBT-TV, Tom received an Associated Press award for his documentary on the City Council vs. Capitol Cablevision, and was part of the team that received an award for outstanding coverage of the shooting at Pearl High School.
In 1998, Tom joined ABC45 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina where he anchored the 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. broadcasts. While at ABC45, Tom covered several breaking stories, including field anchoring the station’s coverage of Hurricane Fran.
Tom joined CBS4 in January of 2002. One of his many highlights at KCNC came in September 2003 when he covered the commissioning of the destroyer U.S.S. MUSTIN in San Diego, California. The ship is named for Mustin’s father and three other family members. His report led to an increase in Naval recruiting applications in the Rocky Mountain region and prompted the Navy to honor Tom with a special Award from the Navy Recruiting District in Denver.
Recently, Tom completed the Denver Marathon and blogged details of his training on cbs4denver.com.
Tom is active in several local charities, including Big Brothers Big Sisters, the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the Adoption Exchange.
Tom and his wife have two sons and a daughter. The Mustins, along with the family dog, are proud to call Denver home.
Just The Facts
• Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
• What’s on your iPod? Beatles, Fergie, Akon, Led Zeppelin
• Favorite Story: Homecoming for the first wave of war vets in Iraq
• Hidden talent: Juggling
• Favorite Musician: Mark Knopfler, Beatles, Joe Jackson
• First Story: Landfill Problems in Madison County, Virg.
• Most Memorable Interview: Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York
• Role Model: My Father
• Dream Job: Pro football player/guitarist for U2
• Star Sign: Scorpio
• Year Hired: 2002
• First TV Appearance: WVIR-TV, Charlottesville, Virg., 1995
• Why I am journalist: I’m naturally inquisitive and love telling stories
• Hometown: Alexandria, VA
• Number of children: 3
• Hobbies: Playing guitar, running, skiing, watching my kids play sports
• Favorite Food: Shrimp scampi or my wife’s lasagna
• Number of siblings: 3
• Number of pets: 1
• Favorite sports team: Virginia Tech Hokies
• Favorite author: T.C. Boyle
• Favorite Vacation Spot: The Outer Banks and Kiawah Island, S.C.
• Least favorite household chore: Cleaning the bathrooms
• Favorite word: Fahrvegnuggen
• Least favorite word: Can’t
• Favorite noise: My kids’ laughter
• What keeps you in Colorado? The weather and the people
• Who would play you in a movie? Hervé Villechaize
Send A Message To Tom
- Apartment Fire In Fort Collins Greeley Freight Station Museum Rockies 5, Giants 0 Colfax Marathon
- USOC Olympic Training Center... Making Strides Against Breast... Buckner Funken Jazz Colorado Mug Shots
- Flash Forward: Concept Cars... CBS4 Newscasters' Dogs Prince Harry Visits Colorado Broncos Rookie Minicamp
- Clear Creek Zipline Colorado Rockies 2013 YouReport Gallery, Spring 2013 Colorado Foxes