Stan Bush is a well-traveled journalist who says the only thing deeper than his Colorado roots is his affection for the state.
He is a Colorado native who has lived all over the mountains. His father restored some of the state’s oldest railways and his grandfather helped map the San Juan Mountains for the USGS.
Prior to joining CBS4 as the Mountain Bureau Reporter, Stan served as a reporter at KREX-TV in Grand Junction where he also anchored the station’s top-rated noon broadcast.
Stan was the executive producer and co-host of the documentary “Beyond the Fire”, which chronicled the immediate aftermath of a fire that destroyed KREX-TV in January 2008. He has been a Bureau Chief at KREY-TV in Montrose, host of a public affairs program in Syracuse, N.Y., and has worked in radio and newspaper in Southeast Alaska.
Stan believes that being a journalist is how he serves his country.
“Democracy cannot survive unless there are people willing to speak truth to power,” he says. “Informed people make informed decisions and that’s what makes this country great.”
He holds degrees in journalism and political science from Syracuse University where he was a walk-on wide receiver. His passions include basketball, skiing and hiking in the mountains.
Just The Facts
- Dream Interview Mark Felt (the guy who Woodward and Bernstein called “Deep Throat”)
- Role Models Family, Bob Schieffer, and Ed Bradley
- Dream Job Reporter
- Alma Mater Syracuse University
- First TV Appearance Blinky’s Fun Club on channel 2 when I was a little kid
- Favorite Story Voting Meltdown in Montrose
- Why I am a Journalist Because knowledge is power
- Hidden Talent Cooking
- Hobbies Basketball and Skiing
- Favorite Food Vietnamese Pho
- Favorite Musician John Mayer
- No. of Siblings 2, my brother Russell and my sister Melissa
- Favorite Sports Team Georgetown Hoyas Basketball
- Favorite Author George Orwell
- What one word best describes CBS4 Excellence
- Favorite Noise Rainfall
- What’s on your iPod Robert Randolph, Buddy Guy, John Lennon
- What keeps you in Colorado? Having adventure waiting outside your door every day
- Who would play you in a movie? George Clooney (20 years ago)