Rob McClure has been a photojournalist at CBS4 for more than a decade. A Colorado native, he became hooked on TV news in his Littleton High School journalism class as he shot stories with the school’s video equipment.
After attending Arapahoe Community College, he started his professional career as a photographer for the Fort Collins Evening News, a local cable newscast, in 1990. Then, after spending two years at KTVN-TV in Reno, Nev., he returned to Colorado, the place he is proud to call home.
Rob shoots and edits daily news stories as well as special assignments for CBS4. He also operates the station’s microwave and satellite live trucks, live cameras, the special camera aboard Copter4 and is an avid listener of public safety communications to get the story as it unfolds.
In 2004, he traveled to Iraq as he accompanied CBS4’s Dr. Dave Hnida, a battalion surgeon with the U.S. Army, on his first tour of duty there. Together, they gave viewers a candid look at life inside a major military prison camp and the medical care provided to the prisoners. Rob used portable satellite equipment to file news stories and he posted journal entries with his observations. Hnida provided live coverage of the day’s events.
The stories earned Rob an Emmy Award for his involvement in CBS4’s continuing series “Serving With Honor.” His experiences and observations in Iraq have given Rob a deep appreciation and respect for those who serve our country in the armed forces.
Rob has a passion for balanced journalism and quality visual storytelling. He is a prisoner of gadgetry and all things outdoorsy, which makes running around outside with the ultimate gadget (a high-definition professional television camera) a perfect fit for him. A quote from Warren G. Harding pretty much sums up how Rob feels about his work: “My God, this is a hell of a job!”
Just The Facts
- • Year hired: 1996
• Most memorable interview: First Lady Laura Bush
• Dream interview: Gene Roddenberry
• Dream job: Manned mission to Mars documentairan
• First story: Fort Collins radion station going out of business
• Role model: My mother and father
• Why I am a journalist: It’s history makin’!
• Hidden talent: Pine beetle mitigation using chainsaw
• Hometown: Littleton
• Star sign: Earth, next left
• Number of children: One daughter
• Number of siblings: Two
• Hobbies: Communications, anything outdoors
• Favorite sports team: CSU Rams
• Favorite musician: Weird Al Yankovic
• Favorite vacation spot: Alaska