Michael Abeyta is a proud 4th generation Coloradan, born and raised in Colorado Springs. He graduated from William J. Palmer High School in downtown Colorado Springs. After graduation, he went to college, first at CU in Boulder, then he transferred to the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida.
When he graduated from “The U”, Michael was homesick for the Rockies and moved back West. Michael’s first job was in Albuqeurque, NM at KOAT-TV. He covered news there for five years before packing up and heading home to Colorado. Michael had the opportunity to sharpen his skills at another local Denver TV station before joining CBS4 in the fall of 2013.
Michael has loved watching the news since he was a little boy and enjoys every minute of his job because he likes telling his neighbors’ stories. In 2011 he won his first National Press Photographers Association TV Quarterly Clip Contest certificate when he recieved “Honorable Mention” in the “West Top Spot News” category for 3rd quarter.
He continues to compete and place in the NPPA TV Quarterly Clip Contest, placing second three times in 2013. Twice in the “West General Spot” category and once in the “West General Deadline” category.
Family is a huge part of Michael’s life because he has a large one. When he isn’t shooting the news, Michael can be found “camping with his bros,” visiting with his mom and sisters, eating breakfast with his dad, or hiking with his two dogs Callie and Bella.
• Most memorable interview: Matt Stone and Trey Parker because I made Trey Parker laugh.
• Dream interview: Pope Francis or The Dalai Lama.
• First story: A snowstorm in Albuquerque, NM.
• Role models: My parents, Henry and Sheila, my grandpa Ed Baca, and Cesar Chavez.
• Why I am a journalist: To tell stories.
• Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO.
• Number of siblings: Three blood sibilings Andrew, Erica and Gabriela. I also have a sister-in-law Yvonne and nephew Enrique. Plus my “brother from another mother” Matt and his wife Angelina, and God daughter Emilia.
• Hobbies: Hiking, camping and playing the guitar poorly.
• Favorite sports team: Denver Broncos.
• Favorite musician: George Strait.
Follow Abeyta on Twitter: @AbeytaCBS4