Send Kathy An Email
Kathy Walsh and CBS4 go hand in hand, considering Kathy has been part of the team since 1984. She started at CBS4 as the reporter for the 10 p.m. news. Now, she anchors the weekend broadcasts at both 5 and 10 p.m. and covers a variety of issues as a general assignment reporter.
The high quality of work done at CBS4 first brought Kathy to Denver. That high quality has kept her here. Kathy has covered everything from a killer avalanche in Breckenridge to the installation of a Cardinal in Rome.
Kathy grew up in Plainfield, New Jersey. She graduated with honors from the University of Delaware with a B.A. in Communications. She quickly launched her career in broadcasting as an anchor/reporter/producer/photographer and editor at WVII-TV in Bangor, Maine. She has worked as a reporter at both WSMV-TV in Nashville and WXYZ-TV in Detroit.
Kathy’s work has been singled out with numerous awards. She won both an Emmy and a regional award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association for her series “Living in Limbo” … the story of one man’s struggle to survive a bone marrow transplant. She has also won awards from the Associated Press and the Colorado Broadcasters Association.
Kathy is hard working, confident and competent. But she admits, stories of human loss tug at her heart strings and can be the most difficult part of her job.
Kathy is married with three children. She and her husband love Denver for its friendly, intelligent community and are active outside of work. Kathy is a member of the Women’s Forum of Colorado, an emcee at many charitable functions and a volunteer at St. Mary’s Academy.
Away from the camera, Kathy unwinds by shopping, reading and most of all, enjoying her family and friends. Her number one goal is to raise happy, healthy, loving children and to have fun each step of the way.
Just The Facts
- Health Specialist, Reporter
• Year hired:
• Alma Mater:
- University of Delaware
• Most memorable interview:
• Dream interview:
- The Beatles
• Role model:
- Morgan (answer provided by Kathy’s daughter, Morgan)
• Dream job:
- Actress on Broadway
• Job you would never attempt:
• Star sign:
• First TV appearance:
- June 1978, Bangor, Maine
• First story:
- Refurbishing the Paul Bunyan statue
• Favorite story:
- The Pope’s visit to Denver
• Why I am journalist:
- I’m nosy and love to tell stories
• Hidden talent:
- Yet to be determined
- Plainfield, New Jersey
• Number of children:
- Shopping, reading
• Favorite food:
• Favorite musician:
- Bruce Springsteen
• Number of siblings:
• Number of pets:
- Two adorable dogs
• Favorite sports team:
- Any team my children are on
• Favorite author:
- J.K. Rowling
• Favorite vacation spot:
- Beaver Creek
• What one word best describes CBS4:
• Least favorite household chore
- : Ironing (answer provided by Kathy’s daughter)
• Favorite word:
- Vacation! (answer provided by Kathy’s daughter)
• Least favorite words:
- Mom, please? (answer provided by Kathy’s daughter)
• Favorite noise:
- Silence (when my kids are out of the house) (answer provided by Kathy’s daughter)
• Least favorite noise:
- Daughter Erin singing (answer provided by Kathy’s other daughter)
• What’s on your iPod?
- Everything my daughters have downloaded
• What keeps you in Colorado?
- The ocean (answer provided by Kathy’s daughter)
• What’s the biggest risk you’ve taken?
- Driving with my 15 year old daughter (answer provided by Kathy’s daughter, yes the 15 year old)
Who would play you in a movie?
- Pamela Anderson (answer provided by Kathy’s daughter)
Kathy Walsh was selected in 2012 to the Silver Circle of the Heartland Regional Emmy Awards. Watch a video CBS4 made to celebrate the honor.