Connect with Justin on Facebook
Follow Justin on Twitter
Send Justin An Email
Justin McHeffey is the meteorologist and reporter viewers see on the air and reporting live from the CBS4 Mobile Weather Lab.
He joined CBS4 in 2012 and is happy to be back in his native Colorado! Prior to CBS4, Justin spent two years at KMOT-TV in Minot, North Dakota forecasting softball-sized hail, tornadoes, blizzards, and flooding on the northern plains. His broadcasting career began in Missoula at the University of Montana as a morning news anchor for College Radio 89.9 FM. After receiving a bachelor’s degree in anthropology from Montana, he went on to receive a master’s degree in mass communication from Arizona State University.
In 2013, Justin graduated from Mississippi State University with a certificate in Broadcast Meteorology; a rigorous three year atmospheric science curriculum focusing on all aspects of meteorology and television presentation. He also holds the Seal of Approval from the National Weather Association (NWA), a professional recognition of the quality of his weather broadcasts. Among radio and television meteorologists, the NWA designation is sought as a symbol of distinction.
Justin’s interest in meteorology dates back to childhood. Often heckled by friends for obsessing over national and local weather coverage, he could name most (if not all) on-air weather personalities before his 11th birthday. No doubt, this was a calling in disguise. He is devoted to understanding the atmosphere and loves the feeling of delivering an accurate forecast.
Before joining the news business, Justin worked as an assistant curator at a museum in Montana where he preserved cultural and military items from WWII. His list of employment ranges from construction laboring to the food service industry to telephone and door-to-door sales. He also studied abroad in Australia to learn about native traditions, ecology, and marine biodiversity.
Justin grew up in Evergreen, Colorado and is thrilled to be back with family and friends. He is a proud former member of the United States Ski and Snowboard Association, and was a competitive mogul skier for eight years. When he’s not reporting or anchoring, you’ll find Justin skiing, camping, windsurfing, trying new restaurants, or playing bluegrass guitar.
Just The Facts
• Year hired: 2012
• First TV appearance: Fall 2009, Phoenix, AZ
• Other possible career: Pilot
• Dream job: Current position, not just saying that.
• Secret desire: Sail around the world
• Favorite word: Glib
• Favorite noise: Laughter
• Most interesting comment from a viewer: Get a haircut.
• What one word best describes CBS4: Motivated
• Hidden talent: I can walk on my hands.
• Favorite quote: “Who empties the dust pans in a utopia?”
• Favorite food: Pad Thai
• Favorite musician: Tony Rice/Eric Clapton/Billy Joel
• Interesting fact: When I was 8 years old my Dad taught me the Greek alphabet. We’re not Greek but he thought I should learn it. Still have it down.
• Hobbies: Skiing, windsurfing, playing guitar, reading, camping, fly fishing, concerts, live comedy, river rafting, traveling.
• Least favorite household chore: Take out trash.
• Least favorite word: Adjunct.
• What’s on your iPod? Wilco, Old Crow Medicine Show, Pink Floyd, James Brown, Tony Rice, RHCP, Talking Heads, Galactic, Duke Ellington, John Coltrane.
• What keeps you in Colorado? There are not many places you can fish a blue ribbon trout stream, ski down a steep chute, and catch a baseball game all in the same day. CO has it all.
• Who would play you in a movie? If he’s available, “Biff” from Back to the Future.
• Role model: My parents
• Alma Mater: University of Montana
• Favorite sports teams: Broncos, Rockies, Avalanche, Nuggets
• Star sign: Cancer
• Hometown: Evergreen, CO
• Number of pets: 0
• Number of siblings: 2