Justin McHeffey is the new face on the CBS4 morning news team and happy to be back in Colorado!
He joined the station from KMOT-TV in Minot, North Dakota where he spent two years forecasting softball-sized hail, tornadoes, blizzards, and flooding on the northern plains. Justin’s broadcasting career began in Missoula at the University of Montana as a morning news anchor for College Radio 89.9 FM. After receiving a bachelor’s degree in anthropology from Montana, he went on to receive a master’s degree in mass communication from Arizona State University and is currently enrolled in Mississippi State University’s Broadcast Meteorology program.
Justin’s interest in meteorology dates back to childhood. Often heckled by friends for obsessing over national and local weather coverage, he could name most (if not all) on-air weather personalities before his 11th birthday. No doubt, this was a calling in disguise. He is devoted to understanding the atmosphere and loves the feeling of delivering an accurate forecast.
Before joining the news business, Justin worked as an assistant curator at a museum in Montana where he preserved cultural and military items from WWII. He also studied abroad in Australia to learn about native traditions, ecology, and marine biodiversity.
Justin grew up in Evergreen, Colorado and is thrilled to be back with family and friends. He is a proud former member of the United States Ski and Snowboard Association, and was a competitive mogul skier for eight years. When he’s not reporting or anchoring, you’ll find Justin skiing, camping, windsurfing, trying new restaurants, or playing guitar.
Just The Facts
• Year hired: 2012
• First TV appearance: Fall 2009, Phoenix, AZ
• Other possible career: Pilot
• Dream job: Current position, not just saying that.
• Secret desire: Sail around the world
• Favorite word: Glib
• Favorite noise: Laughter
• Most interesting comment from a viewer: Get a haircut.
• What one word best describes CBS4: Motivated
• Hidden talent: I can walk on my hands.
• Favorite food: Pad Thai
• Favorite musician: Tony Rice/Eric Clapton/Billy Joel
• Interesting fact: When I was 8 years old my Dad taught me the Greek alphabet. We’re not Greek but he thought I should learn it. Still have it down.
• Hobbies: Skiing, windsurfing, playing guitar, reading, camping, fly fishing, concerts, live comedy, river rafting, traveling.
• Least favorite household chore: Take out trash.
• Least favorite word: Adjunct.
• What’s on your iPod? Wilco, Old Crow Medicine Show, Pink Floyd, James Brown, Tony Rice, RHCP, Talking Heads, Galactic, Duke Ellington, John Coltrane.
• What keeps you in Colorado? There are not many places you can fish a blue ribbon trout stream, ski down a steep chute, and catch a baseball game all in the same day. CO has it all.
• Who would play you in a movie? If he’s available, “Biff” from Back to the Future.
• Role model: My parents
• Alma Mater: University of Montana
• Favorite sports teams: Broncos, Rockies, Avalanche, Nuggets
• Star sign: Cancer
• Hometown: Evergreen, CO
• Number of pets: 0
• Number of siblings: 2
Send A Message To Justin
- Rocky Mountain National Park Severe Weather, June 17 &... Tedeschi Trucks Band At Red... Black Forest Fire
- Westminster Explosion Denver Comic Con 2013 Colorado Rockies 2013 Pridefest Parade
- Denver Chalk Art Festival Festival For Water At Civic... Pikes Peak Internat'l Hill... Colorado Mug Shots
- Staunton State Park Autos Quiz: Name That Car Logo Father's Day Gift Ideas Coloradan Wins 'Cheese Roll'