Whenever a person is lucky enough to work in a profession they enjoy, and it actually includes (among other things) watching his hometown sports teams play, and he does so for pay, this should be called pulling a Heinzerling.
I know this is unlikely, as Heinzerling is not the easiest name to spell, but a producer can dream.
At the age of 6, Brett was able to name all 47 members of the Broncos roster (lineman and all), a feat which in retrospect, shows his true passion for sports.
Brett’s first foray into the sports broadcasting world came at the University of Colorado where he served as play-by-play commentator for several men’s and women’s basketball games, and more than a couple volleyball games. Brett immediately knew that he had found his calling, sort of.
He wanted to be on camera … not a behind-the-scene’s guy … an idea he has since abandoned, along with the need to wear a suit to work.
The road to the CBS4 sports department started with internships that solidified his desire for this job, and carried him through jobs that had nothing to do with television, other than occasionally selling them.
Finally, Brett’s “big break” came, and he has not looked back.
Instead of covering volleyball games, Brett has had the thrill of covering Rocktober, which he is convinced is the most exciting sporting event he’ll be a part of … until, that is, the Broncos win another Super Bowl.
Just The Facts
• Position: Sports Producer
• First TV Appearance: ‘NASCAR Brett’ first appeared in February of 2008
• Favorite Interview: Former CU great Bobby Anderson
• Favorite Story: “Rocktober”
• Dream Interview: John Elway
• Dream Job: I kind of like this one
• Job you would never attempt: Parachute tester (although I’m not sure that job exists)
• Alma Mater: University of Colorado
• Star Sign: Aries
• Year Hired: 2006
• Why I am a journalist: I have a part, no matter how small, in the biggest sports stories.
• Hometown: Englewood
• Birthday: March 24, 1980
• No. of Siblings: 1 brother, 1 sister
• Favorite Sports Team: Broncos, Avs, Buffs, Rockies, Nuggets
• What’s On Your iPod? My playlist ranges from swing to grunge, even a little rap…but no country.
• What Keeps You In Colorado? Everything…weather, scenery, people…it’s the best place on earth.
- Apartment Fire In Fort Collins Greeley Freight Station Museum Rockies 5, Giants 0 Colfax Marathon
- USOC Olympic Training Center... Making Strides Against Breast... Buckner Funken Jazz Colorado Mug Shots
- Flash Forward: Concept Cars... CBS4 Newscasters' Dogs Prince Harry Visits Colorado Broncos Rookie Minicamp
- Clear Creek Zipline Colorado Rockies 2013 YouReport Gallery, Spring 2013 Colorado Foxes