Halloween Parade Marches On After Attack

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City’s always-surreal Halloween parade marched on Tuesday evening under the shadow of real fear, hours after a truck attack killed eight people on a busy city bike path in what authorities called an act of terror.

gettyimages 868797408 Halloween Parade Marches On After Attack

NYPD officers stand guard during the annual Halloween parade after a man driving a rental truck struck and killed eight people on a jogging and bike path in Lower Manhattan on October 31, 2017.(Photo by Kena Betancur/Getty Images)

Security was heavy as the Greenwich Village parade stepped off Tuesday about a mile (1.6 kilometers) away and four hours after the truck mowed down pedestrians and cyclists along the bike path near the World Trade Center memorial. But the raucous spectacle rolled along with its floats, bands, anything-goes sensibility and thousands of spectators.

“I’m not going to let it scare me,” Cathryn Strobl, a 23-year-old New Yorker, said as she waited for the parade to start in her Buffy the Vampire Slayer costume. “You can’t let it stop you from living your life.”

gettyimages 868786682 Halloween Parade Marches On After Attack

(Photo by Kena Betancur/Getty Images)

Police said they added extra officers, heavy weapons teams and sand trucks as protective blockers along the parade route. But officials emphasized that New Yorkers should feel safe.

Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo visited the route as the parade started, and Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio assured residents and visitors earlier that police were out in force.

“We are going to go about our business in the city, and we are not going to be deterred,” de Blasio said.

Still, the mayor urged New Yorkers to be vigilant: “Tell an officer immediately if you see anything unusual, anything that worries you.”

The parade, which is open to anyone wearing a costume, began in 1973 with a puppeteer marching with his family and grew into a televised extravaganza.

gettyimages 868786668 Halloween Parade Marches On After Attack

(Photo by Kena Betancur/Getty Images)

Ghosts, goblins, zombies, superheroes, men on stilts, a bunch of human bumblebees and a float of topless people were among those making their way up Sixth Avenue as spectators bobbed to drumming and Caribbean music.

Still, the crowds seemed thinner than usual to Tamia Gholston. As for why: “the terrorist attack, maybe,” said the New Yorker, who was dressed as Batgirl.

Em Weiss was in town from Seattle on business when her phone started buzzing Tuesday with worried people trying to reach her after hearing about the attack. Still, she donned a cat-ear headband, drew whiskers on her face and came out to the parade.

“Even though we’re shaking, we’re still strong. … We’re not living in fear,” said Weiss, 28, who said the police presence kept her from feeling too nervous.

“It sends a message terrorism doesn’t win.”

By LARRY NEUMEISTER and JENNIFER PELTZ

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

FANTASY FOOTBALL
Together 4 Colorado
CBS4 INVESTIGATES

Watch & Listen LIVE