Von Miller Ads Being Pulled After Anthem Protest

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4) – Broncos linebacker Von Miller may be out an endorsement deal as a result of kneeling during the national anthem.

Before the team’s game with the Buffalo Bills Sunday, Miller was one of 32 members of the Broncos who took a knee to protest what they see as racial injustice in the country.

img 2012 Von Miller Ads Being Pulled After Anthem Protest

(credit: CBS)

President Trump on Friday, and again several times through the weekend, said athletes should be fired for taking a knee during the national anthem, tweeting that “if a players wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU’RE FIRED.”

In response, players across the NFL protested Sunday by taking a knee, locking arms, or placing a hand on a teammate’s shoulder in a show of support. Some did not even come out of the locker room for the anthem.

img 2009 Von Miller Ads Being Pulled After Anthem Protest

(credit: CBS)

As a result of his actions before the game, Phil Long dealership asked CBS4 and other television stations to stop airing their ads featuring Von Miller. The general manager of Phil Long Ford in Denver told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that Miller has not been fired, but instead they are changing some advertising.

A full statement from Phil Long Dealerships is below.

RELATED: Angry Veteran Donating His Broncos Gear

Last season, for his protests, Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall lost sponsorship deals. Marshall knelt again Sunday before the game.

Marshall was later honored by Harvard for his stance on social injustice.

Phil Long Dealerships Statement:

We are evaluating the events of the weekend.  It is important to state that we haven’t fired Von. We are in the middle of contract renewal and this weekend’s events remind us that sometimes we feel that we best represent ourselves. We support Von and his first amendment rights, we know Von and he’s a good person. He donated a police car to his hometown police dept. All that notwithstanding when we bring in celebrities to represent us we run the risk of being misrepresented.

We, like millions of Americans are concerned and will respond consistently with our values as a proud American company founded by a war hero (Phil Long).  While we can’t control the actions of others we can be responsible for how we support our nation and community.  That is why, years ago, our principal owner, Jay Cimino, founded the Mount Carmel Veteran’s Service center, and is supported by all Phil Long Dealerships.  We support this cause not just with our words, but financially as well, and it is serving hundreds of veterans in need right here in Colorado.  This would be a great time for our community to show support for our military community by supporting this cause or others that continue to serve them after they serve us.  https://veteranscenter.org/

Comments

1. The snowball is rolling and picking up speed…..

1. Stan Olson says:

Maybe the Broncos should pay more attention to football instead of the National Anthem. Losing to the Bills?!

2. Done with NFL until they fire Goodell, fine the players and enact a rule that ALL players must apologize and stand for our flag/country or be suspended.

~ I implore Trump to cease military ad spending with the NFL
      ~ Stop providing Air Force flyovers
      ~ Stop providing Armed Service color/honor guards
      ~ Remove any tax breaks the NFL recieves
      ~ Remove the NFL’s Anti-Trust protection
      ~ Demand repayment of taxpayer stadium expenditures/investments

[ In many cases taxpayers contribute to cost of stadiums and hold notes on those loans ~ demand immediate repayment ]

Enough !!!
      Please copy my comment and spread it everywhere

2. Larry Morris says:

well tired of this hope they all go broke 3 killed 34 hurt in the windy city black on black crime not one word so go to hell

3. Burt Gummer says:

All this is based on a bald faced lie…..Hands up don’t shoot. Well it never happened! Just proves football players are brain dead. To hell with the NFL! God Bless the car dealership.

1. cg62262 says:

Pants up, don’t loot! LOL

2. Bold faced lie. You are putting on a bold face while telling a lie. As if that makes your lie the truth. Lying has nothing to do with having or not having facial hair.

That said, yes! Hands up don’t shot NEVER happened. The media lies to us about everything. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. My dad always says that.

1. If you’re going to correct someone for their usage of an idom, you should probably make sure you are correct first. (spoiler alert: you aren’t)

2. My Grand Dad taught me that as well, and it’s served me well for my 60 years of life. He also taught me to think the worst of people and if you’re wrong, you’re pleasantly surprised. Amazing how often you’re not.

4. Teddy Coral says:

These are the NFL sponsors of taking a knee for our national anthem.

Gatorade (PepsiCo)
    Visa
    Campbell’s Soup
    FedEx
    Frito-Lay (PepsiCo)
    Mars Snackfood
    Pepsi (PepsiCo)
    Dairy Management Inc.
    Bridgestone
    Gillette/Head & Shoulders/
    Vicks/Old Spice (Procter & Gamble)
    Verizon
    Barclays
    Papa John’s
    Castrol
    Anheuser-Busch
    USAA
    Bose
    Courtyard by Marriot
    Xbox (Microsoft)
    Quaker Oats (PepsiCo)
    Tide/Duracell (Procter & Gamble)
    Lenovo
    McDonald’s
    SAP
    Surface/Windows (Microsoft)
    CoverGirl (Procter & Gamble)
    Zebra Technologies
    TD Ameritrade
    Extreme Networks
    Nationwide Insurance
    Hyundai
    Dannon

1. MAN! did you just put me on a diet! How am I going to live, how can I do without all that product?! LOL
      I’ll get by just fine….. lol

2. Allen Clark says:

Thank you for list. I will print it and put it in my car and everytime I decide to go shopping, I will consult the list. time the silent majority stood up and spoke instead of just complaining.

3. Gerry Rudmin says:

In New England… add Dunkin Donuts to the lis!

4. Dale Warren says:

I printed the list of those companies who support the effort to express publicly hate for the people, the nation, the flag, the National Anthem, the military, the law enforcement personnel, and the President of the United States of America. I will not be buying anymore of their products or services. I wonder if the companies will decide that they’ll go down with the sinking ship of the radical, alt-Left, anti-American, socialist, Progressive Democrat, partisan, political operatives like the NFL (No Fans Left) has?

5. Red says:

Thanks for the list, I wouldn’t have known in the past either because I haven’t watched a live football game in years, I DVR’d the game of the team I followed and watched it, skipping the commercials…and the national anthem.

As of last Sunday, I dont even DVR the game.

Nobody supports police brutality of black people…at least the vast majority of Americans…there are always going to be a few racists, just like on the other side, there are black people who love the idea of white people being hurt.

I stand against all uncalled for police brutality, but that’s not what these protests are about. These protests are a Leftist sponsored attack on America. Black Lies Splatter is a Leftist attack on America…Hands up Don’t shoot never happened…black witnesses acquitted the officer in the Michael Brown case with almost all witnesses saying it never happened. Andrew Zimmerman was attacked by Travon…the Travon Martin Case begun the new racist meme early in the 2012 campaign season…and Zimmerman was acquitted because Travon jumped him.

Police brutality does happen. It’s usually the cases you dont hear about, but that’s no excuse for lying and using these cases that were proven not to be police brutality or racism as rallying points.

None of this is what it seems and the NFL has just been suckered by the Left in to destroying itself, which is the Lefts goal…to destroy everything quintessential American.

5. Great news, more sponsors need to start pulling NFL advertising or be boycotted

1. Paul Tibbets says:

The sponsors that stay and support the athletes can stay.

They just need to go broke along with the NFL

6. The downfall of professional sports has started and by the NFL doubling down, there’s no turning back. Professional sports, NFL, NBA, and MLB, is going the way of Hollywood and celebrity. It’s a slippery slope when you infuse politics into entertainment.

1. Allen Clark says:

its time we put these entitled idiots in their place and remind these rich spoiled little kids that they are rich because we pay them. They are entertainers and nothing more. They are not my spokesman and I do not need you to speak for me. I say shove it to every one of you. If it means never watching another NFL game, so be it. Its time I take a look at soccer.

7. Chuck Costin says:

Just waiting to see when these cowards head to Chicago to help fight black on black murders that happen every single night.

8. Joe Mellon says:

Good for this car dealership. I bet his business will increase now.

9. Adam Edner says:

What a bunch of morons. Where the hell is Elway! Does he support this debauchery?

1. He was too busy trying to fire Tim Tebow. I hate Elway.

10. Ethan Wayne says:

Gotta love this, the backlash has begun….

11. I remember that the NFL allowed four St. Louis Ram players to endorse the “hands up don’t shoot” lie before a game, but denied the Dallas Cowboys when they wanted to place a sticker on their helmets honoring the police officers who were killed at a black lives matter protest. We don’t appreciate this kind of hypocrisy from the NFL.

12. jb80538 says:

Good for Phil Long! Hit the players in the wallets!

13. Cristu Doulo says:

Taking a knee for the anthem is the same as burning the American flag. It is total disrespect for our country and those who died for our freedoms.

These players need a reminder that the fans pay for their over-priced salaries.

Boycott the games, merchandise and sponsors until they get the message.

14. voodoodaddy1 says:

I will be buying a car from Phil Long Company BECAUSE he dumped Miller!

15. Can O'Korn says:

BRANDON MARSHALL IS A LIAR!
    He was never arrested in Florida! There is no police report. You are all being used just like Kapaernick used America when he was protesting police brutality in Ferguson, which was a proven lie! It’s ALL a lie!

16. Jerry Brewer says:

As a life long Broncos fan, it really saddened me that so many took a knee. I am a Navy vet and this is nothing more than lip service. Phill Long Motors, next time I am in Colorado, I’m stopping by to thank you and buy a vehicle.👏🇺🇸🇺🇸👏

17. The BULLY race is out to WIN now…The BULLY race tells YOU what to do. They BULLY race tell YOU what the law is… There’s no people in any other country that would INSULT their own national anthem>>.Only black Americans. There is only ONE people that have declared WAR on police/ law and order>>>Black Americans.

18. Linda Cooke says:

If I could afford it I’d certainly buy a car from this dealership and go clear across the country to do it.

19. Joe Smith says:

politics now more important than football in the NFL. Perhaps that explains the execrable performance of the Broncs against the Bills Sunday: protesting more important than winning.

The NFL is busily digging it’s own grave, just like Hollywood did when they became more focused on politics instead of making entertaining movies that people actually would pay money to go see.

Spitting in the faces of your customers every week is a VERY bad business decision!

20. Paul Tibbets says:

All servicemen that have USAA accounts. Contact USAA today and tell them you will close all your accounts with them if they chose to stay with the NFL

21. Raleigh Wood says:

It’s about time for a new car.

22. Disrespect to veterans should not be tolerated #BoycottNFL #BoycottNFLSponsors

23. Jim Padgett says:

The First Amendment ONLY protects you from the government! It does NOT protect you from ME and MY wallet.

24. Dale Osborn says:

I don’t know of any knowledgeable person who buys a product based on the endorsement of athletes or entertainers. Companies should advertise the strengths of their products and forget about these endorsement deals.

1. Wasn’t it a Saturday Night Live skit with Chevy Chase that had him in a doctors gown where he said, “I’m not a real doctor but I play one on TV?” Today, with all of these stars and NFL team members, most without a complete High School education, people listen to them like good Christians listen and comprehend the Gospel Message of Christ. They can go for the counterfeit things if they desire but I only pay attention to the real truth. I strongly recommend that others do the same. But no one should force them, that is counter God and not a good thing. But isn’t it odd that given the opportunity they would force me?

25. Maria Tall says:

Thank you,…. Phil Long.

I went to school in Colorado Spring during the Vietnam war. Every year one or more of my school mates lost their father to the war.
    These narcissistic, self-centered millionaire brats have no idea how much pain they are inflicting on American families who have given more than we had any right to ask for.
    I am welling up as I type from feelings that began 50 years ago.
    Again, thank you.

26. Gee….didn’t ESPN fire Hank Williams Jr. over his free speech? hmm Bet the NFL was behind them on that “You’re Fired” statement.

27. “Marshall was later honored by Harvard for his stance on social injustice.” Not aware that honorary awards will pay for any bills. This social injustice stuff is all being blown up by the media to stir the pot. All these so-called injustices have been shown to be bogus. These players are at risk of killing the source of all their riches for a false cause. They had better stop and think about what they are doing. Most Americans will not tolerate their flag and country being rundown for bogus reasons.

1. I personally don’t care what anyone believes we are all free to express ourselves. However I watched in horror as the Jaguars and the Ravens did their little protest of our national anthem in London England, yet stood for God Save the Queen. This is just a complete and total revelation of the ignorance of these people and their lack of knowledge and appreciation for history and freedom. It makes me want to puke.

1. Ethel Weiss says:

To HELL with Goodell and his lousy NFL These imbeciles stood the British anthem, proud that they brought slavery to America but kneel for those who gave them freedom. Go figure.

28. I tip my hat to Phil Long then…more sponsors should let these players know they have chosen the wrong venue in which to protest. How about some national sponsors dropping out? What do you say #Gatorade? #Gillette? #Verizon? #Budweiser? How about the #NFL itself? Reminding that when Boss Jones asked permission last year to place a small decal on the back of Cowboys helmets to honor the 5 Dallas cops shot dead as they tried to protect Black Lives Matters protesters…NFL declined the request saying they didn’t want the league to be seen as getting involved in a political matter. Where are you Mr. Goodell….hearing nothing but crickets.

29. Susan Vue says:

I hate the NFL and will make sure I never buy anything advertised in the NFL.

30. Now we know who has the best deals on cars…the guys who don’t Hate USA.

31. Brian Taylor says:

No different from burning the flag as far as I’m concerned. Also, this sort of thing is SPECIFICALLY prohibited in BOTH the individual contracts AND THE LABOR AGREEMENT between the NFL and the players’ union.

32. I DON’T TUNE INTO THE NFL TO WATCH POLITICS!
    This was never about anyones right to protest – It was about protesting in a way that was disrespectful- Perhaps people are just too ignorant to understand that. Forget the NFL- it’s a waste of time to watch something that is so political on a sunday afternoon – Goodbye NFL- It was nice knowing you.
    ***UPDATE- RATINGS ARE DOWN AGAIN.

33. I will be cancelling our NFL Ticket tomorrow. I happen to love this country and I’m sure not paying these guys to slap me in the face anymore.

34. Every player’s salary should be cut by the amount of decrease in the NFL ratings. Ratings drop 20 percent then so do the player’s pay check. Problem solved.

35. Von Miller hates the USA. He hates the flag; he hates the Star Spangled Banner. Von Miller has thrown in with cop-killing BLM.

Same is true of the NFL.

They have more in common with Obama’s JV Team, his favorite Iranian allies, and his favorite little pot-bellied totalitarian dictator than they do with the 99% of Americans.

36. Gene Easley says:

Maybe America would be better off without the NFL and all professional sports.

37. I am a Chicago Bears fan (well was) who bled Chicago Blue for 45 years. After hearing about the pitiful and embarrassing account at Solider Field in Chicago 9/24/17 (v.s the Steelers) only 1 man stepped forward “A Hero”. An Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva, who served 3 tours in Afghanistan to reminded me of what it is to be an American. He stood when his team and the bears wouldn’t, and took the wrath of his 100% Participation Coach Tomlin.

Today, I through away all my Chicago Bears paraphernalia, and will never again watch an NFL game In addition I will minimize my exposure to their sponsors, when ever and where ever possible. Cudos to your local sponsor who pulled his adds.

You expect this man to sit down and take this, He wont and neither will I.

Me – I am just a nobody fan, but be warned there are lot of us nobodies out here and “We Have Very Long Memories” when it comes to this stuff. So double down on stupid, keep it up, or pretend its not happening. The Cultural Wars continue…

By the Way: Villanueva was a Captain in the U.S. Army during much of his service overseas and now stands at the rank of Major in the 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. He was also the recipient of the Bronze Star with “V” device. (This man was worth more than every player and coach in that game from both side of the field.)

38. Kneeling in protest of the National Anthem is not protesting violence against black people, it’s protesting the National Anthem, America and all that is patriotic about loving America. Even Kaepernick stated he was protesting the flag and nation, because he blames the entire nation, not just the violence against black people.

They can claim to only be protesting violence, but their actions show differently. That’s one of the big differences between the leftist protesters of everything decent and the regular normal American – they will say one thing, then their actions belie their true nature.

So kneel before leftist anti-American hate all you want NFL. Bow before the leftist god of identity politics. Just don’t be surprised at the backlash when everyone else recognizes it for what it truly is.

39. I suggest those clowns find a country that will treat them better, and then move there.

40. Rick Fischer says:

Black millionaires working half the year complaining about oppression! Give me a break! They do this precisely to offend the white fans who work twenty years to earn what players get in one year.

41. Let’s see what these ingrates do when their actions lose them major sponsorship deals. Bet they’ll call the companies that do pull then “racist”

42. redknight says:

The NFL has lost over 10% of it’s viewing public and that loss in viewership is climbing fast as more teams join in these protests. The NFL Advertisers are starting to back away from these teams, so as not to kill the sales of their products.  This will not end well for Pro-Sports!  The majority of America is turning against Pro-Sports and real Americans are supporting their Country, their Flag, their National Anthem, their Military, their Police and law enforcement and their President.

The NFL, NBA and MLB are cutting their own throats!  So be it.

The NFL has just signed its death warrant.: https://spectator.org/im-with-americas-commissioner-in-chief/

43. I just finished marking down all of our NFL products in the store to what we had to pay for it. Sadly we will probably take a loss on it as no one in our area seems to want to buy it any more. Oh, and it’s authentic NFL stuff, not a cheap knock off that the typical mindless sports jock purchases akin to buying a cheap knockoff Rolex to put on airs to their other mindless friends.

44. Very wise decision and very thoughtfully worded, Phil Long.