WASHINGTON (CBS4) – Senator Cory Gardner is recommending Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers to be the new FBI director.
“Colorado’s John Suthers would be an excellent choice to lead the FBI,” Gardner tweeted Friday morning. “I recommended him to the WH & am excited to see his name on this list.”
CBS4 received this statement from Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers: “While I am honored to be listed as a possibility among some tremendous law enforcement professionals, at this point it would be premature to comment any further.”
“I recognized the need to put someone in charge of the bureau who had incredible integrity, impeccable integrity, somebody who can be fair, somebody who can be independent, somebody who is going to carry on the investigations, like the Russian investigation, in a way the American people can be proud of,” said Gardner. “And I started to think about who that would be and John Suthers came to mind immediately.”
- Ray Kelly, the former and longest-serving New York City police commissioner
- Mike Rogers, former House Intelligence Committee chairman and former FBI agent
- Former Assistant Attorney General Alice Fisher
- Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C.
- Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn, R-Texas
- Paul Abbate, executive assistant director for the Criminal, Cyber, Response and Services Branch
- Associate Judge of New York Court of Appeals Mike Garcia
- Mayor of Colorado Springs John Suthers
- Former federal appellate court Judge Michael Luttig, now executive vice president of Boeing
- Larry Thompson, former deputy attorney general under President George W. Bush
- Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe
Prior to becoming mayor of Colorado Springs, winning 68 percent of the vote in a 2015 runoff election, Suthers was the Attorney General of Colorado from 2005 to 2015 under Govenors Bill Owens, Bill Ritter, and John Hickenlooper.
“What we have to do now is assure the American people that we’re putting somebody in who is fair-minded and independent at the agency and do it as quickly as possible and that’s why I think if you were to pick somebody like John Suthers, it answers a lot of the questions about what is going to happen next,” said Gardner.