DU PIONEERS HOCKEY CONTEST: Enter for the chance to win a pair of DU Hockey tickets! (Enter To Win)

Editor’s Note: CBS4 asked Sen. Cory Gardner’s office for evidence of out-of-state paid protesters calling the office. Read CBS4’s report about his response.

DENVER (CBS4) – Coloradans are flooding the phone lines of Colorado’s elected officials after President Donald Trump took the Oath of Office.

Sen. Cory Gardner talked to CBS4’s Political Specialist Shaun Boyd about the amount of calls his office is getting from people concerned about changes to everything ranging from health care to immigration.

Sen. Cory Gardner (credit: CBS)

Sen. Cory Gardner (credit: CBS)

Gardner said his office is getting so many calls and emails, his has staff assigned to do nothing except respond to them. In one night, his office received 3,000 voicemails. Many of them were from what Gardner calls paid protesters from other parts of the U.S.

When asked if this was what he expected one week into Trump’s administration, Gardner replied, “It’s just been a fire hose.”

US President Donald Trump signs an executive order to start the Mexico border wall project at the Department of Homeland Security facility in Washington, DC. (credit: NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images)

Gardner admits with the confirmation hearings, his committees have heard seven, and Executive Orders, Trump has signed 12, that it has been difficult to keep up with what’s happening in Washington, D.C.

“It just seems the second you turn your head one way to see what’s coming down that road, you have to turn your head that way to see what’s coming down that road,” said Gardner.

CBS4 Political Specialist Shaun Boyd interviews Sen. Cory Gardner (credit: CBS)

CBS4 Political Specialist Shaun Boyd interviews Sen. Cory Gardner (credit: CBS)

Some Coloradans are not happy with what they’re seeing on either road.

Protesters gathered outside a conference where Gardner was speaking and demanded a meeting. This was after Gardner fielded 12,000 questions at a tele-town hall.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

“There were a number of questions from Pueblo, to Cortez and Durango, and on up to Grand Junction,” said Gardner.

Many of the questions were about health care.

When asked if there was a replacement for Obamacare, Gardner replied, “If you look at the ideas that have been put forward over the past several years by Republican legislators, and there have been many, some are more narrowly targeted to, say, a specific health savings account idea and others have been pretty significant and broad.”

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

Gardner also says Congress will be methodical on immigration reform. He also says that Executive Action is not the way to do it.

“People shouldn’t be afraid, I don’t think, in this country. We should be proud. We should take pride in the differences of opinion in this country. But never use that or let fear interfere with making this country stronger or fighting for your viewpoints,” said Gardner.

Neil M. Gorsuch is sworn in to U.S. Court Of Appeals for the 10th Circuit on Nov. 20, 2006. (credit: Denver Post / Getty Images Photo By John Prieto)

Constituents are also weighing in on the next Supreme Court justice. Colorado Judge Neil Gorsuch is on Trump’s shortlist.

Gardner says it’s a great opportunity for Colorado to have a Western voice on the court to understand certain issues like water rights.

Comments (91)
  1. Laura Viola says:

Paid out of state protesters calling Sen Gardner? C’mon, Ms. Boyd, you’re the reality checker, please check that one! Sounds like Garner is channeling Trump now for sure. Ugh!

2. Marilyn Dana says:

Cory Gardner is a liar. i am NOT A PAID protestor and he ignores his constituents. Where does he get his information? Or are these alternative facts. He has his own agenda which has nothing to do with what his constituents want. AT ALL.

3. Senator Gardner, i am not able to find any information regarding the telephone Town Hall you refer to in the interview with CBS News4 Shaun Boyd. Your town hall schedule is not posted on your website. Senator Bennet & Representative Perlmutter’s respective websites list their Town Hall schedule. Why is it so difficult for your constituents to speak with you? BTW I am a taxpayer in your district. No one is paying me to contact you. I pay your salary.

4. Diane Burton says:

If he’s getting that many calls and his response is to state that they’re coming from, outside his state, he is a fool for burying his head in the sand. Alternate facts aren’t going to win him reelection. He was elected to represent his state, not our Narcissist in Chief. We are counting on some sane republicans to do their constitutional duty of checking and balancing. I guess we’ll have to look elsewhere. FYI: those calls you’re getting from me come from inside your state, whether you want t believe it or not. I think there should be a follow up to this piece in which you ask Senator Gardner to back up his claims about paid protesters calling his office. Politicians shouldn’t be allowed to get away with tactics like this.

5. Just wanted to let you know that I am not a paid protester, I am a Colorado tax payer and I am one of the many people contact Sen Gardner to oppose his stance on women’s reproductive rights and health care.

6. Susan Rogers says:

Believe me, Senator, when I say no one has to be paid to protest the actions being taken and proposed by this congress and this administration. You are out of touch with the people in your district. We’re not going to listen to your calls to trust you and not be afraid when our very lives are at stake. You have nothing to lose in this game, we have everything. (Denver resident).

7. Wendy Weiss says:

I’m a long-time Colorado resident, paid by no one, and I’m appalled to see you roll over to the extreme right on everything from health care and reproductive rights to — possibly now — immigration. You ran as a moderate, so put your money where your mouth was and stand up to our egomaniac president and his enablers.

8. Cory Gardner is a liar, and Shawn Boyd should have followed up on his statement of “paid protesters from out of state are calling,” but she didn’t and let him get away with his BS. I’m one of those women who participated in the Denver Women’s March and called his office. I am a life-long Coloradoan and not a paid protester! Very convenient for him to just deflect the calls and protests he’s receiving as being paid and from out of state. I have news for him, Colorado went with Hillary not Trump, and yes, I am afraid, I am very afraid of Trump’s agenda.

9. This was a very disappointing interview for many reasons. Clearly Senator Gardner is out of touch with his constituents, and the interviewer didn’t push him on anything. Yes we knew there was a town-hall conference call earlier in the week. A conference call is NOT the same thing as an in-person town-hall. It is easy for the Senator to answer select questions on a conference call. It is entirely different for him to speak with his constituents face to face and answer the questions they really want answered. It was insulting to hear him suggest that many of us are “paid protesters”. I can assure him. I call is office every day and I am not paid. I am one of his constituents and I am concerned. Finally, to suggest that we shouldn’t be afraid of the Trump Administration is ridiculous and insulting. That is easy for him to say when he knows for sure he will not lose his insurance coverage. I am terrified that this administration is going to set us back 300 years and Senator Gardner is doing nothing to stop them. In fact he is helping them.

10. I am a resident of Grand Junction and have contacted Senator Gardner’s office three times through the interface on his website regarding ACA issues and concerns about the Pruitt nomination for EPA. Since this requires provision of my address and phone number, Senator Gardner has plenty of evidence that Colorado residents are concerned about his positions. These objections are not coming from out of state. Gardner should pay attention to the concerns of his constituents.

11. It is so frustrating to see the man who represents me in the Senate refer to me as a paid activist. I am the wife of a Navy Chief and I have been calling Senator Gardner’s office for weeks! I have written him letters, sent post cards, and rarely get through to anything more than voice mail. My cell phone records would verify this. Why he was allowed to refer to the constituents who are trying to speak with him as paid protesters without being challenged on that is infuriating! I pay for the stamps on the letters I write to him, and taxes to pay him to hear my, yet he ignores and insults us.
    – Senator Gardner’s given the number of times I have left my phone number with your office if indeed you had a phone town hall why were all your constituents not notified? You represent ALL of us.

12. I was dismayed by this interview and the lack of fact-checking. It seems that CBS4 just acted as a megaphone for Senator Gardner. The “paid protester” theme that is being perpetuated by any politician who does not know how to handle dissent or questioning is getting tired. He can easily see how many of his own constituents have called or emailed. Also, if you could please give the public more information (a link perhaps) about this “tele-townhall” and who was able to access it and how voters could participate in it, that would be helpful. I believe that was open only to members of a private organization. In any case, I don’t understand why this is not on Senator Gardner’s official website. Where is a record of these questions and answers? Please, CBS, hold Mr. Gardner accountable and do some journalism, please. If I wanted to hear Mr. Gardner’s platform I could just follow him on twitter or go to his website. But if I want to hear the whole story, including in-depth analysis, I will look to journalists. Please consider digging deeper to show that you are not just a megaphone.

13. Ms Boyd, dig deeper. Ask Senator Gardner how people were able to attend the town tele-hall. I’m on his mailing list, I’ve asked his staff for details on when he will hold a town hall and how to get invited, and…crickets. His staff selects who gets invited and gets the information, so how is this representative??? Senator Gardner, you are not reachable by all of your constituents and then downplay and smear our questions and concerns by saying most calls are from paid, out of state people. I, and many of my fellow citizens, are definitely NOT paid, NOT out of state.

14. I am also a Colorado resident who has contacted Gardner’s office. The responses from him and his office, are frustrating!
    I stopped watching Ms Boyd’s political commentary and analysis about a year ago, because it became obvious to me that she was biased and was unable to give impartial fact-checks.

15. Looks like Gardner is embracing #alternativefacts bigly! What a sellout. This guy is an embarrassment to Colorado constituents and I can’t wait til we boot his ass out of office in 2020.

16. I have lived in Colorado for the last 7 years and I work full time for a local hospital (I am registered here, vote here, pay taxes here). While I do have an out-of-state phone number, each time I have called Gardner’s office (daily in the last week), I leave my CO zip code (Lafayette) and other information. Every time I have spoken with his staff I have asked if there will be a town hall. Every time I have emailed I have asked if there will be a town hall. I even met with one of his regional directors on Monday (1/23) and asked if there would be any town hall. Every staffer I have spoken to has told me there was nothing scheduled, nothing upcoming.

This segment is incredibly disappointing. Senator Gardner should have more integrity, and so should Shaun Boyd. The implications and subtext of this segment clearly undermine the work of concerned Coloradans in fighting to have their voices heard.

17. Gardner said himself that we should RESPECT difference of opinion yet when he receives calls to his office from people that don’t agree with him (i.e. have a difference of opinion) he states that those calls come from paid protesters from other states. I have called him every day with my concerns. I have lived in Colorado for 11 years and counting. Check your contradictions Mr. Garner. DO as you say. We pay you to listen to us and act on behalf of us. Do your job. CBS, check your facts!

18. Another Colorado constituent here. I’ve called Sen. Gardner’s office, sent emails, and visited in person at his Fort Collins office (though I notice he seems to lavish his attention mainly on the southern part of the state). I’ve asked repeatedly why Republicans want to take away my health insurance, but only gotten a form letter in reply. Oh, and one of his staffers said that as conservatives, they don’t believe the government should be involved with health insurance. So I guess that’s a big “no” to replacing ACA with something else after it’s repealed. And I also notice Sen. Gardner took donations from Betsy DeVos, and now he’s in a position to help her get a job. How cozy.

19. I wasn’t able to find any information about this town hall. In fact, I’m sure it didn’t even happen. I have called and emailed Gardner’s office, I live in Denver, and I am NOT paid.

20. Your town hall wasn’t in your newsletter, it hasn’t been on your website, and frankly many of us have been requesting such a meeting with no response. I am certainly not paid, but I assure you if we were you would have far more than 3000 voicemails a day.

21. Paid protesters? I am a legitimate Colorado voter who has been calling to voice my opinions and concerns. Just b/c the senator doesn’t like what I have to say does not somehow magically turn me into a paid protestor.

22. Don’t be a paranoid liar like trump. We are watching, we are listening, and we will be voting.

23. I have called Mr. Gardner’s office every day, twice a day, and have yet to speak to a live person, nor have received a call back, and the DC phone line isn’t working at all. I am not paid, and a Colorado resident of over 35 years. Gardner is a liar, and better start looking for a new job.

24. I am a Colorado voter that has voted in every election since I became a eligible to vote. I was not paid to call and you can bet that I will be calling again. Cory Gardner needs to remember that the majority of Coloradoans did not vote for Trump. Gardner needs to listen to what his constituents are saying and if he refuses to listen, we will remind him at the ballot box and make him a ONE term senator.

25. Tim Howard says:

Senator Gardner and his aides are turning a deaf ear to anyone other than his hard core republican constituents. I can tell you that none of us are paid, we are passionate and we will ensure that Gardner’s choice to blindly toe the party line will be met by him being unemployed without insurance in 2020.

26. Kendra Gale says:

I am NOT a paid protester–I am a Colorado resident and voter. I have been calling Mr. Gardner’s office and haven’t gotten through to any staffer yet. I’ve been continuing to send emails in addition to calling, and have only received incredibly generic form letter responses “asking for my patience as they are receiving high volumes of communications.” We’re clearly doing something right if Mr. Gardner’s staff can’t keep up and Mr. Gardner himself has to resort to lying. Keep up the resistance, everyone!

27. Nina Banks says:

I’m a Colorado registered voter. I was not paid to call, and I’m not going to stop or go away. Did he miss the 200,000 Coloradan’s marching? Yeahhhhhhhhhhh that’s where your phone calls are coming from. Right here. I hope he was not planning on begin a career politician,because he is putting the nail in his re-election coffin, one voter at a time.

28. I’m appalled at the way this administration is unfolding. Trump is unfit. A wall? That’s absurd! And with the ACA on the line? I’m ashamed that any representative from Colorado would fail to stand up for what used to be – and what should now be – true American values, with the good of the ALL people as the foremost concern. Last time I looked, corporations still weren’t people. BTW, I am absolutely not being paid to write this!

29. Shawn, please follow-up with the senator to ask him if he has *any* proof at all that many/some/any of these calls are from “paid out-of-state protesters”. What organizations are paying people who otherwise wouldn’t call to flood his inadequate phone system? (Paid employees of environmental & other groups who call in don’t count since they don’t need any pay to express their concerns).

It frankly sounds like a convenient lie he made up to you to justify ignoring the flood of concerns of his constituents. We expect the president to make up lies like this but expect more from our senator. Senator Gardner, DID YOU JUST LIE TO US???

30. Patti Bonnet says:

I am a constituent and have certainly have not been paid off by anyone (um…unlike Cory Gardner). I have called Senator Gardner’s office several times a day since the election. We have also repeatedly asked to be included in town hall meetings and have been told that Sen. Gardner only has telephone town halls and that there were no town hall phone conferences scheduled. Please don’t allow Cory Gardner’s alternative facts to go unchallenged.

31. Colorado resident here. Very concerned about Mr. Trump’s executive order regarding banning travel from certain countries, about healthcare and about cabinet nominees, just to start. Senator Gardner will continue to receive communications from me about this until he does something to address these concerns.

32. Kate Papke says:

Senator Gardner, I am a registered Colorado voter and pay taxes (i.e., your salary). I have called your office and have not heard a peep from you. I have also called the offices of Senator Bennet & Representative Perlmutter and have heard back from both. I am not a paid protestor and I do believe you owe us an apology. Let me remind you that you are an elected official and elected officials who don’t listen to the will of their people and instead dismiss our concerns by calling us paid protestors, won’t get re-elected.

33. I’m not a paid protestors. Please fact check the Senator. Demand evidence. We are furious constituents and the Senator is hiding from us.

34. #withDavida says:

I am not a PAID protester, I am a voter in 80122 and I don’t want my representative to support these #Trump initiatives and executive orders! No to DeVos for Secretary of Education! No OLIGARCHS excused!

35. I am a registered voter in the state of Colorado and find it offensive that Senator Gardner would flat out say or imply that he is getting called by “paid activists”. I have called your office several times and assure you I am not a paid protester. We are angry and terrified constituents that don’t agree with the administrations policies and want you to know it. We are paying attention and will organize to have you relieved of your Senate post in 2020 if you don’t exercise good judgement on behalf of Coloradans, which is is not in alignment with the administrations agenda.

36. I am a constituent of Corey Gardner’s. I have lived here in Denver for 11 years. I have called Corey Gardner’s office and I am NOT a paid protester. What a LIAR he knows this is real. I begged him to not cancel the ACA without a replacement.

37. I am one of Senator Gardner’s Colorado constituents and I have been calling and emailing his office with my requests and concerns. I have not made a single penny for these calls/emails! In fact, I have taken time out of my busy schedule (working full time and raising 2 young kids) to contact Senator Gardner. Gardner should do his JOB which is to actually listen to what the people he is working for have to say (by the way I have received nothing but a generic auto email back from his office) rather than making up “alternative facts” in regards to so-called “paid protestors” in order to cover up the fact that he is a self-serving, spineless, and greedy man who does not care about the people he is supposed to be serving.

38. I am a registered Colorado voter, not a paid activist and have called Senator Gardner’s office on numerous occasions. I would like Channel 4 to fact check Senator Gardner and have a follow-up report regarding his alternative facts.

39. How does the Senator know that many of the callers are paid activists from out of state? Do they leave that information when they call? Maybe he was referring to lobbyists. I’m sure he makes time to meet with them, unlike his concerned constituents. I resent his implication in making that statement. Also, I resent his patronizing statement that we “shouldn’t be scared.” Why not, when I may lose my health insurance, science is being blocked in favor of erroneous “beliefs” about the environment, the Cabinet is being stocked with thoroughly incompetent political cronies, there is an impulsive, vindictive demagogue in the White House, and my Senator thinks he doesn’t have to pay any attention to his constituents!

40. Dawn Fritz says:

I call everyday (left a message today). I’m not paid. I’m a Constituent! If fact protesting actually costs me money (plane ticket to Washington DC. Gas and parking for my spouse and son to go to the March in Denver).

I’d like to see his evidence of paid protestors. Not just evidence they’re calling from other states but evidence they are being paid to call and physically protest.

#AlternativeFactsAreNotFacts

41. goatwoman says:

You are a liar and could not be more wrong. We are NOT paid protestors. You will not be re-elected. You are an embarrassment to Colorado.

42. I am not a paid protester! I have been calling your office every day. I live in zip code 80226 in Lakewood Colorado. I marched in Denver. I have a full time job. I take time away from my family voluntarily to call your offices – yes offices not just 1 office. I am disgusted and furious over your lack to publicly denounce Trumps actions and to seeming support his nominations. I have been calling your office to express my opinion and wish that you DO NOT approve Devos, Tillerson, Sessions, and Pruit. The others are horrible as well but I will focus on those for now. You are part of the alternative fact problem Senator! Trying to redirect focus from the appalling behavior you are all allowing from Trump. You and the other members of the Senate should be ashamed. And we will not forget come 2020.

43. Lolly Block says:

My voice is legitimate. I pay taxes and live in Colorado and your job is to represent your constituents. I am one of them. I am not being paid to express my outrage. Hear me: I believe in the First Amendment. I believe that citizens like my 15 year old son, a brain cancer survivor with a pre-existing condition, should have the freedom to pursue life, liberty and happiness without the millstone of wondering whether to pay for food instead of life-prolonging and improving medication/treatment around his neck. I believe that America’s arms should be open to refugees.I believe in climate change. I believe that women’s bodies are their own, that they have the right to choose, and better access to contraception, meaningful sex education and family planning services are human rights. I believe that humans are created equal, regardless of color, creed, sexual identity, religion. I believe elected officials should be held accountable to their words and should speak the truth. I believe the President of the United States and elected officials should lead by example and present themselves with humility and dignity. Don’t spread alternate facts, sir. The flood of phone calls are from Colorado residents like me, and we are afraid.

44. We are the citizens of Colorado who stand against those who advocate discrimination, taking away health care and other benefits, and wanting to remove freedoms based on puritanical religious beliefs. The press is supposed to be a bastion of truth – research, analyze, ask insightful questions – do your job.

45. I have lived in Colorado for 14 years and I have been contacting you relentlessly. You’re a liar, Gardner, and nobody is paying me to call you out on that! Voting, protesting, and calling from 80528.

46. Senator Gardner, what evidence do you have that calls have been coming from outside the state? Those of us who live in Colorado and have been contacting you frequently would like to know why you think our calls are invalid.

47. CBS, are you enjoying being delegitimized while doing work you fervently believe in and hold to high ethical standards? Remember that today you chose to assist in the delegitimization of the people of Colorado and the Democratic process. We won’t forget. It’s weird … at my newspaper, we used to ask for evidence and even multiple sources. Guess that’s not necessary in firehose news land.

48. I have called Sen. Gardner’s Denver and Washington numbers at least six times over the past week. I live in Colorado and am most definitely NOT getting paid to call. I read that he claimed that his phone lines are being backed up by people calling from California (via an article in the Aspen Daily News about his meeting with the Water Congress where people were protesting his lack of availability to his constituents). I call BS on that. The last two times I’ve called the Denver number, I’ve been connected to the Washington office. No one has answered the phone since my first call.

49. Also not a paid protester. Live in Aurora and am disappointed in CBS for not calling out an obvious lie or asking for evidence of the claim.

50. Anne Blohm says:

Dude, you’re an idiot. There isn’t enough money in the world to pay all of us who are the Patriotic Resistance. You should probably get a clue if you are going to be a senator…

51. What the heck! Just FYI, I’ve called and I’m NOT a paid protester. Get real!

52. I call the Senator’s office every day (or try to). I say “try” as the circuits are usually busy. I always leave my zip code and on the rare occasion that someone answers the phone I speak my name, zip code and inform the person that I’m a constituent of Gardner’s. Gardner does not speak for CO constituents – he speaks for Trump and the Koch brothers whom I assume has bought his voice and vote in Congress.

As Gardner seldom answers his phone, it would be very helpful if he would leave his town hall meeting information on the recording. He is after all a public servant that at one time worked for CO constituents. Believe me, there would be many CO constituents that would attend.

So does Gardner also endorse ‘alternative facts’, and CBS endorses it? Shame.

53. I am not a paid protester. I am YOUR BOSS as a registered voter in Colorado. I demand proof of the “10\2,000 calls” you answered on your teleconference, as it was not advertised anywhere nor listed as something you did on your website. And Ms Boyd, you should be ashamed of yourself for letting him get away without questioning what he said.

54. I was very disturbed by Senator Cory Gardner attributing the volumes of calls received by his office to “paid protesters from other parts of the U.S.” As a resident of Superior, Colorado, I am one of Senator Gardner’s constituents. And, I have tried to contact his office to express my concerns about repeal of the Affordable Care Act and cabinet nominees that are troubled with conflicts of interest. Just because I don’t agree with Senator Gardner’s positions does not mean that I am an outside agitator. I am a Coloradan and I vote in every election. Are you listening, Senator Gardner?

55. I cannot believe that anyone is paid to make phone calls to you, and I don’t think you believe it either, Senator Gardner. Another glaring example of alternative facts. I can’t even track how many phone calls I have made to you voicing my concern and NOTHING have I heard about a teleconference! Every call I have made includes my name and address. I have both left messages and spoke to your staff. I have visited your web site and Facebook page and sadly missed that opportunity to teleconference with you and share my concerns. This grassroots effort does not have financial backing ala Koch Brothers.

How blithely you mention HSA’s as an alternative to ACA. We know what an HSA is. How does anyone amass a million dollars in their HSA to pay for healthcare for themselves and family members? HSA is NOT insurance! And, being an attorney, you know that, you are just hoping your constituents don’t know. I have an HSA, entirely funded by me and the balance is pathetic.

Another Flim Flam-con artist, hoping we aren’t paying attention. He is NOT a representative of Colorado.

56. I am not a protester. I am a concerned citizen that fears my voice and the voice of many Coloradans is not being heard. Senator Gardner’s statements suggesting there are paid protesters overwhelming his office are outrageous and I resent his notion that we have nothing to fear as Americans.

57. Senator Gardner, I am not a paid protester. I am a constituent of yours living in Arvada, Colorado. I have called, written and emailed you to let you know you are not representing my views. You should get used to this level of engagement, because we are not going to stop. 2018 will be here before you know it.

58. I would be happy to provide my phone records to Sen Gardner any time he asks. I am not a paid outsider. I am an Independent voter legally registered ( and voting) in Pueblo, Co. I have called, written and emailed my concerns to my elected representative as is my legal right. Most often I get voicemail or an over full system not accepting any additional messages. Senator Gardner ‘s Telephone Town Hall was not publicized and there is no information available on his website on upcoming events.

59. Cory Gardner, wipe that smile off your face and say something with some substance rather than platitudes like “no one should be afraid in this country”.

60. No need for paid protesters. There are enough angry Colorado constituents to flood your phone lines and email until such time as you stop supporting ridiculous policies that your constituents do not support. You are supposed to represent us. You can expect this to continue until you decide to represent us the way we want you to, or until we get you out of office. Your pick.

61. I can assure Senator Gardner that I am a Colorado resident and I have never been paid to contact him! I have called both his local and D.C. offices to voice my concerns over several issues, including the repeal of the ACA and Trump’s cabinet picks. Also, I find it odd that he is bragging about talking to 12,000 CO voters during a teletownhall last week, when we constituents were told by his staff that he had no town halls scheduled for the first 3 months of the year. I would like to see Ms. Boyd follow up with some hard questions for Sen. Gardner about why he is making up alternative facts about paid out of state protesters, and why he has no plans for face to face meetings with his constituents, especially those in the Denver metro area who have asked repeatedly that he schedule town hall meetings.

62. I am a Coloradan of almost 20 years and I am not a “paid protester.” In fact I’d say the opposite: he’s a paid shill. Betsy Devos is one of many who’ve donated significant sums to Corey Gardner. He should represent the people, not the donors. And the people are disgusted at him rolling over on his back for Trump and his cronies.

63. Nms Bishop says:

Paid protesters? I walked in a sister walk of the Women’s march FOR FREE and will continue to protest FOR FREE and phone Gardner’s office FOR FREE each and every day. Republican politicians are repugnant for supporting the Petulant Tweeter in Chief.

64. I have lived in Colorado since 1987. I just called Gardner’s office yesterday. “Paid out of state protesters,” what horse manure. I pay your salary, Sen. Gardner!

65. I am a citizen of Colorado and have contacted Senator Gardner. Lies and diversion are the tools of this new administration. The media must act to keep our government officials truthful.

66. Paid protesters?? LOL – please send me the check! Neither I, nor the 50 people I was with protesting at your empty office last week were paid. A health savings account is NOT health care. You don’t think we should be afraid of the psychotic Dumpster in Chief? I can’t wait to give you your walking papers.

67. as Pamela explained I cant believe that any one able to make $5109 in a few weeks on the computer . have a peek here
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://tinylink.net/G57vb

68. I have left many messages with Sen. Gardner’s office. I am disappointed that he dismisses calls from his constituents by claiming voters in his district are out-of-state paid protesters. I’m not impressed.

69. Senator Gardner, I am not a paid protestor. I am one of your Colorado constituents and a mom raising my 3 wonderful boys to love and respect everyone, and to stand up and fight when we see the wrong in our government. We have your office number on speed dial, and so does everyone we know. You need to listen to your people, and to your soul if you still have one.

70. Jake Acton says:

What in the world? I went out to DIA last night. Im not a paid protester! What a way to minimize and discount democracy. Terrible. This will just make me louder.

71. Corey Gardner – why did you remain silent when Trump was violating our First Amendment Rights? I am not a paid protester, I am an ANGRY COLORADOAN!

72. I am NOT a paid protester. I have been a Colorado resident for more than 20 years and I am MAD about what is going on in DC and around the country. I will call Gardner’s office AS A CONSTITUENT and I will protest AS A COLORADO RESIDENT at every march until things change. Shame on your Sen. Gardner!!

73. I am not a paid protestor. I will keep calling. I will keep showing up at your office. Your job is to represent your Colorado constituents and to uphold the constitution of the United States. Tragically, it is now your job to do what you can to protect your people and your country. We, your constituents, are organizing, protesting, calling, marching, and rising up together to protect the America we love. And we don’t draw a salary for doing so.

74. Lee Fife says:

Cory Gardner, once again shows his true colors.
    No Senator Gardner, I am not a paid protester. And your attempts to hide from your constituents make it clear who you think you represent. And it’s not us …
    But, gosh, great way to tell us what you think of the calls you’re getting from the very people you claim to represent.

75. es, I am calling you, Cory Gardner! Yes, I am emailing you, Cory Gardner! Yes, I have protested against your new fascist president. I promise you, *no one* paid me to do any of this. Do your job and represent your constituents. Save the ACA. Do *not* de-fund providers of reproductive health. Do not allow Steve Bannon and Donald Trump to destroy our democracy. Stand up against the immigration ban, which will only serve to *increase* the number of people who wish to harm the USA. Where is your moral compass? Do you even care about this country and our democracy? I received the most lame email from you defending your desire to repeal the ACA. You really have no idea what your constituents want and need. Educate yourself, or consider yourself voted out of a job. Find your moral compass before it is too late for the United States of America, home of the free. Impeach him, NOW.

76. Wow, what in the world have “we” done allowing the GOP this kind of power once again? Your aggrandizement since the election blinds you to your constituents, and to ethical behavior for the country. I am not a paid protestor. I am your constituent, asking you to protect the ACA, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, the EPA, the Dept. of Education, the Dept. of Treasury, the Justice Dept., the Dept. of Energy, our relationship in the United Nations, civil rights, and America’s kind and tolerant values, which all of a sudden your “family values” party has turned its back on. COME BACK TO REALITY. Yes, I will continue to call you with every passing day’s ridiculous attacks on America’s values. Good Lord help us.

77. Sonia Simone says:

I’m one of the Colorado citizens who wrote Senator Gardner a letter, and I’m appalled at this out-and-out lie that I’m a “paid protestor.”

I moved to Colorado in 1999, and I’m a business owner, I certainly don’t have time to be a “paid protestor,” and frankly I don’t think such a thing exists.

Senator Gardner, hear this: Colorado does not want you to repeal ACA. It has had a great benefit to the state.

Truly, the difference in treatment I see between Garner’s and Senator Bennet’s office is shocking. Senator Bennet’s staff are always courteous and acknowledge that I have taken time from my day to share my views. Do these people think we have nothing to do but hassle them so they’ll do their jobs?

78. Gregg Koski says:

The ‘Party of Personal Responsibility’ that never takes any. The GOP has been wrecking this country for decades. Maybe these ‘paid protesters’ can only get this job because of GOP’s failed policies.

79. Senator Gardner, I’m NOT a paid protester–I’m a concerned CO citizen (80303).

80. You let Sen Gardner walk straight past his uncorroborated assertion that his phone line was being flooded by “paid protesters”?
    You need to be demanding that he provide evidence for claims like that. If you don’t you are guilty of professional negligence.

81. sierrafarris says:

I call Gardner’s office every other day and unable to leave a message or talk to anyone live. What evidence does he have that people like me, a Coloradan is a paid protester. Midterm elections will be difficult for Gardner if he doesn’t take a moral stance against Trump.

82. Senator Gardner, I am not a paid protester. I was at the march and you are getting mail from me. I am a registered Colorado voter and pay taxes. I, my friends, and my neighbors are concerned about the loss of human rights and environmental damage. I believe you owe us an apology. I vote. So do my friends. Don’t mimic the “alternate facts” of your president. A lie is a lie.

83. I am not a paid protestor, but a constituent in Colorado who would like representation for my taxation. I have been calling Senator Gardner’s office for several days now (trying multiple city offices) and every time his mailboxes are full. I have had no trouble leaving a voicemail with Senator Bennett, however.

84. Senator Gardner, I am a citizen of Colorado, a voter, and a constituent of yours. Wake up and smell the coffee. The president is not well. He lurches crazyily from one idea to another. He behaves as a 7-year-old, one that would be disciplined in any normal home. And, Senator, I just wish that one time you would respond to my letters. How are we supposed to get in touch with you?

85. No one has to be paid to protest this insane barrage of ill considered executive actions. I am a Colorado voter, and I protest the actions of President Trump. The sheer number of your constituents who have chosen to either visit your office, call or email in protest of the actions of President Trump in such a short time must not be dismissed by you and your staff as being anything other than what it is, thousands and thousands of Colorado voters who are angry and frightened enough of this petty tyrant and his shortsighted and disruptive ways of working that they are willing to take the time to contact you directly. As the most prominent of new Republican stars in the Senate, you need to be very careful in your responses. Do not denigrate the opposition that will continue to inundate your office in protest. Do something positive to stop Trump from acting irresponsibly.

86. I am not a paid protestor. I am a resident of CO and one of your constituents. I also did not know about your tele-conference. Please listen to us. We are trying to speak.

87. I am not a paid protester but a mother of three beautiful children and a wife to a wonderful husband. All five of us are constituents and as a mother I am extremely concerned about the tragic examples of immature and narcissistic behavior that play out in the new Washington every day. I fear for the future of their country and their world. I know your job got tough, Senator Gardner, but step up to the plate or we will take it from you.

88. I am a 42-year Colorado resident and business owner. I have called Gardner’s office multiple times and have yet to get a response, despite leaving many messages. My business employs Coloradoans, and because most of our customers are out of the country and state, we are a net importer of dollars. I am incredibly offended at this ridiculous idea that one Senator in Colorado is worth having people be paid to travel here. This is a r-e-p-r-e-s-e-n-t-a-t-i-v-e d-e-m-o-c-r-a-c-y – you work for your constituents. I am one. WE ARE TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION! I am still hoping you’ll step up to the plate and remove this lunatic from office, but you appear quite busy espousing these absurd views about paid protesters.

Oh yeah – forgot to mention that one issue I keep calling about is I was planning to hold a 300-person international meeting in Boulder or Denver this fall, but right now I’m quite worried that my customers either won’t be able to get into the country or will not feel safe here. I’m thinking of moving it to Canada or Spain. You really should listen when we call.

89. Sandra Wong says:

I am a longtime Coloradan, not a paid protester, and I called!!! These are the true voices of Coloradans. Cory Gardner, shame on you for dismissing them so lightly!!!!!! Please do not play games with what is deeply important and real to us!!!! Please do your job and represent the voice of your constituents.

90. Gary Jansen says:

You can tell Mr Gardner the I am not a paid protestor. I grew up here in Colorado and have worked and paid taxes and voted here all of my adult life. I will keep calling his office to voice my concerns as long as we have a president from Mr. Gardner’s party that appoints a fascist as his Chief Advisor, and promotes actions that threaten our beloved environment and trample human rights. Like it or not, Mr. Gardner, you REPRESENT me in the Senate, and you are going to hear from me a lot.