DENVER (CBS4)– The attorney for the homeless in a controversial class action lawsuit against the City of Denver was asked by the judge in the case to scale back the claims.
The lawsuit stems from a sweep through homeless camps earlier this year in which tents and other personal property were removed.
In early March, city officials were fed up with the personal items filling the street on the corners of Park Avenue West and Lawrence Street, outside the Denver Rescue Mission. City workers wound up clearing out the items after multiple warnings.
The judge told the attorney, Jason Flores-Williams, to eliminate some of the claims in the lawsuit or he and his clients would be facing a lengthy litigation process.
Flores-Williams said there are close to 1,000 plaintiffs who believe they are victims of constitutional violations with the homeless sweeps and seizure of property.
The lawsuit goes after the City of Denver as well as five city officials, including Denver Mayor Michael Hancock. The judge warned Flores-Williams that the individuals named in the case will claim qualified immunity.
The judge advised Flores-Williams to dismiss all the claims against the individuals and to only go after the City and County of Denver.
The lawyer agreed to rework the lawsuit.
There were about 50 people from the homeless community in court on Wednesday.
There will be a status conference on Oct. 20.