Another Sponsor Drops Broncos Brandon Marshall

DENVER (CBS4) – Another sponsor has terminated their agreement with Denver Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall.

CenturyLink sent out a statement on Monday stating that the company respects Marshall’s decision not to stand during the national anthem but that “whatever issues we face, we also occasionally must stand together to show our allegiance to our common bond as a nation.”

(credit: CenturyLink)

(credit: CenturyLink)

“In our view, the national anthem is one of those moments,” the statement reads.

On Friday, Air Force Credit Union announced they were ending their partnership with Marshall.

On Monday afternoon Marshall confirmed the news when speaking with reporters. He also told CBS4 he plans to continue to kneel during “The Star-Spangled Banner” at the start of Broncos games. Marshall said his action is a protest of injustice against African-Americans and other minorities in American society, and it follows the similar action of San Francisco 49ers backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Marshall was a college teammate of Kaepernick’s at Nevada.

Last month CenturyLink announced that they were “joining forces” with Marshall, as well as two other NFL players. At the time, they wrote on their website:

“As part of the agreement … Marshall … will appear in local television and radio commercials as well as in online, print and social media promotions. The campaigns, focused on the theme “Home Team, Home Connection,” will highlight CenturyLink’s interactive TV service, Prism® TV.”

Additional Resources

CenturyLink’s shared the following complete statement about Marshall with CBS4:

We completely respect Brandon Marshall’s personal decision and right to take an action to support something in which he strongly believes. America is anchored in the right of individuals to express their beliefs. While we acknowledge Brandon’s right, we also believe that whatever issues we face, we also occasionally must stand together to show our allegiance to our common bond as a nation. In our view, the national anthem is one of those moments. For this reason, while we wish Brandon the best this season, we are politely terminating our agreement with him.

Comments

1. MaryAnn Pulu says:

If you want to do something against oppression of American people of color then donate to help make their lives better instead of trying to get attention like a spoiled child! Or join the millions of service personnel that fight for your right to be a jerk! JS!

1. Raymond says:

Amen! That will preach!

2. Chris Miller says:

No, no. Do not donate. That is what the Democrat party has done for them over the last 40 years. You want to help, invest in their communities, and provide jobs for them. That and stop electing Democrats who do nothing but keep them down.

2. Michael S. Gordon says:

This pos does not deserve to even live in this country much less profit from it….

1. clayton luz says:

Did you click your heels and salute your sky after your comment?

1. Chris Miller says:

Did you actually think your response was so good that you took the time to post that?

3. Tamra Towers Schrock says:

I agree with Century Link. During the national anthem, we stand as one (although we are many). There are so many other ways to make an impact. “Tearing down” does not always make way to something better. Being active and diligent can make a huge impact. I believe Marshall and those following suit should have a voice. They have that right!!! Once more there are many injustices throughout our country and history! But burning the flag, kneeling or plain “sitting” during the anthem does more damage than good. I cannot remember a time that the anthem did not cause tears within me. I believe that all Americans should know the Pledge of Allegiance as well! We cannot force national pride, nor am I suggesting this. I am just saying the American Flag and our National Anthem represents all Americans. The US is not perfect, try to make a difference, don’t just use your “celebrity” to spit the furthest.

4. John says:

Not Air Force Credit Union but Air Academy Credit Union.

5. Joe Bambino says:

God, all you other white guy’s just don’t get it! Black people in this country are affaid off the police and with good reason and because state, county and city governments don’t want to address the problems how is it ever going to change. If the cops treated you like they treat them you would be jumping around like a some sore of banshee during the national anthem trying to get someone attention.

1. Barb says:

I guess I don’t get it……I listen to the news at night and hear of gang shootings, and whatever else that usually depicts blacks. If you don’t want negative attention,don’t do the behavior that asks for it and quit complaining about it because once you are an adult you reap the consquences of you actions.

2. Nathan Lutz says:

These football players need to understand that the fans are there to watch them play football for three hours, not get fed their thoughts on social justice. Go shoot a PSA about it and let it air during commercial time.

3. J-Bo says:

I guess I don’t get it either. This country is made up of people. The flag represents the people and when you show contempt for the flag, you show contempt for every person who has died defending this country both here and abroad. By the way…that includes people of color. All colors. Those people died defending this country, the people, and trying to make it a better place to live. That also includes all the civil rights workers that died.

You have the absolute right to hold them in contempt, but you didn’t earn that right. Someone else earned it for you.

So yeah, I don’t get it.

6. Don Pettygrove says:

Thank you Century Link. There are things that are bigger than our individual desires, not rights. Being American is one of them. Since Brandon is in the Broncos uniform he is a Bronco, not Brandon Marshall. The Broncos need to issue a policy that during the anthem and pledge all players and staff will stand at the sideline at attention and comply with the US code for events like this. Put aside your self-aggrandizing ego and support the country that has given you the ability to make millions. His “rights” do not extend to the playing field when he is in the employ of the Denver Broncos and NFL. It is just like their dress code of wearing a uniform with certain features and not others.

7. Does Century Link and all the other people here commenting not realize the history of that song? You all realize the guy who wrote it was a PROUD supporter of slavery and was an outright racist. Also, never mind all the other players who beat wives, kids or old men or murder and torture animals or other horrific things. Don’t stand for the anthem written by a racist? Well that’s blasphemy!

1. kr says:

It’s time to quit using slavery as an excuse!! The song was written to signify patriotism and freedom in America!! If people think it’s so bad here, then by all means, don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!! I’m sure North Korea and Iraq would open those overpaid football players, with open arms!! We don’t need anymore radical nuts in our country!! IF YOU CAN’T RESPECT OUR COUNTRY, THEN GET OUT!!

2. David Shaffer says:

Well you are partially right but as with most people, you only know and mention part of the history. One, he was a Democrat and as with all Democrats during the civil war, he was pro slavery. Here is a bit more historical fact from Leepson’s book…..Annette Palmer, chair of Morgan State University’s history dept said “You have to put Key’s views in context,” Palmer says. “You can’t look at the 19th century through the eyes of the 21st century. In 1814, slavery was everywhere in society. Most people thought that was a perfectly normal way for life to be.”

So if Key “was an early and ardent opponent of slave trafficking,” according to Leepson, it wouldn’t necessarily strike his peers as inconsistent that he owned slaves himself.

What raised eyebrows was that Key also donated his legal services to some African-Americans who were fighting for their freedom under a 1783 law that prohibited slaveholders from other states from bringing their human chattel into Maryland to live. Key won several of those cases.

“It was rare for a white lawyer to do that,” Leepson says. “That was a gutsy thing for him to do.”

But on other occasions, Key represented slave owners trying to recapture their “possessions.”

Is there any wonder that Key’s peers described him variously in Leepson’s book as “a friend of men of color” and as a bigot whose “little heart … cannot be bigger than a cherry”?

On the one hand, Key widely is believed to have helped spark the Snow race riot of 1835 by his overly aggressive prosecution of a young black man who was accused of trying to kill his mistress.

On the other hand, it was Key who stood in front of a jail door and faced down the white lynch mob that wanted to skip the trial and hang the suspect, Arthur Bowen, from the nearest tree.

So if you want to hate the National Anthem….want to hate it because it was written by a slave owner….than you MUST hate the Democratic Party in turn…..otherwise you just look foolish.

8. kr says:

Good!! They are disrespecting our country!! If you think you have it so bad in America, then go play football in Iraq!! You’re all overpaid!! I hope the NFL boots them all out!! Let those arrogant jerks go flip burgers for minimum wage!!!

9. Jon says:

I finally agree with CenturyLink on two things 1 you don’t have to press 1 for English when you call them 2 This stand with Brandon Marshall

10. V, milliken says:

Thank you CenturyLink for standing up for our country’s Vets and current soldiers and the ones that have sacrificed ! A family game is not the place for such actions!

11. Kay says:

Thank you CenturyLink, I am recommending you to ALL my friends, family and anyone I meet. Thank you for standing for AMERICANS, vets, soldiers and those who have truly sacrificed!

12. Robin says:

I am part of a minority group that has been subject to racism and prejudice. However I do not need nor do I want Brandon Marshall or anyone else protesting for “me”. How arrogant, presumptive and self serving of him to think he can represent anyone’s oppression but his own. If I chose to exercise my right to protest it will be done with great thought, respect and a plan for a posititive outcome and desired action.

13. if all nfl fans stop buying tickets and going to games[ i know it hurts to do this] but no team will change their rules and insist that when wearing a team uniform they must respect America

14. Bobby says:

I am made in the image and likeness of our creator yet you oppress me I am a spirit living in a body I am not the body I am not the skin I am that I am but you still say crucify, crucify crucify!!!!!

15. Bobby says:

As long as I have known no one has ever solved a spiritual problem with a physical solution their has to be a spiritual solution to racism because it is a spiritual problem no protest without pray can help change this permanently so stop thinking it is history has already proven that.

16. THERESA HARTLESS says:

if America is ssooo bad that black people have to act like this then give them a one way ticket out of America to iran and they can express their problems there. but only once I guarantee.

17. Joyce says:

They are fighting the wrong fight they say black lives matter then let’s take a stand against killing one another, Black on Black crimes outweigh everything they are doing, but yet none of them mention that.

18. Steve says:

So everyone is talking on how Brandon is so torn up how Black People are treated in this Country. Does Brandon ever think to look at how White People get treated when they are around a group of Black People ? I do not think he thinks about that, And how that happens more often than most people know of. Well I hope you can see my point, I am just trying to say that the National Anthem is a Very Important part of the American History And if these People cannot stand up for it, Then they sit at home without pay !!! I say it is the AMERICAN WAY OR NO PAY !!!! And if you do not like that, Then you can join the Military to Earn and Learn some Respect for the United States Flag and the National Anthem !!!

19. Michael says:

I am a Native American, Or most importantly, I am an American of Native American descent, and He does not represent me or for that matter most of my family that I have talked to….

20. dolthunter says:

hopefully they all drop his thug disrespectful ass.