1 Injured In Natural Gas Explosion At Home

WINTER PARK, Colo. (CBS4) – One person was badly hurt in a natural gas explosion in Winter Park.

The explosion happened at a home at 98 Fir Drive on Thursday. It started a small fire, but the flames didn’t spread.

When officers with the Fraser Winter Park Police Department arrived, they found a 56-year-old male with upper body burns and other injuries. He was was taken to University of Colorado Hospital’s burn unit.

The immediate neighborhood was evacuated and all utilities to the neighborhood were cut off.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

Police said the preliminary investigation revealed that three people were installing some new carpet in the home as part of a remodeling project. When one of the workers plugged in the carpet iron, the explosion occurred and all three workers were thrown off their feet. The man who suffered burns to his upper body was airlifted to the hospital while the other two were treated and released at the scene.

Xcel Energy crews were in the vicinity conducting an inspection of their service lines at the time of the explosion. Xcel told police that no gas readings were found in the home prior to the explosion. A work crew had investigated some potentially higher readings across the street from the residence.

The home suffered extensive damage and is uninhabitable. The actual cause of the explosion will take some time to determine.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

NEWS TEAM
BRONCOS CENTRAL
Send A News Tip

Listen Live

AM/FM Stations

Featured Shows & Multimedia