LITTLETON, Colo. (CBS4) – A fire broke out at an condominium complex in Littleton on Monday morning.
The fire started sometime before 10 a.m. inside the Chateaux Beaumar Condominiums located on the 5500 block of South Lowell Boulevard.
A witness told CBS4 lots of smoke was coming out of the building. Jerry Peterson said that he and several other people who live in the area helped an older man out of the building who was having trouble escaping.
‘There’s this old guy, he’s screaming, ‘Help! Help!’ … and I’m screaming, ‘Hey, is there anybody in there?’ So Mr. Drexel goes in and he reaches over the fence and pulls him out,” Peterson said. “Me and another person … helped this old guy down the sidewalk.”
Peterson said that man said he was smoking in a chair and that he accidentally started the fire.
“He admitted he was smoking in the chair and tried to put it out and couldn’t put it out fast enough,” Peterson said. “That’s at least his story.”
Two people, including the older man who needed help, were transported to Littleton Adventist Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Two units were badly damaged by the fire, and two other units had smoke damage.
“It started in one unit, extended to a second and we have some damage in an additional two,” said Chief Chris Armstrong with the Littleton Fire Department. “So we have four homes affected.”
The four families have been displaced.
There was no confirmation from officials on a cause so far.