Anti-Gardner Abortion Ad With Young Girl Crosses Line, His Supporters Say
DENVER (CBS4) - A political ad attacking Cory Gardner’s pro-life position has riled Colorado Republicans because it includes a young girl.
“I want my daughter to have the same choices I do,” says a woman in the ad. Sitting on her lap is her daughter.
“It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and I don’t think it’s fair to that girl,” Betsy Mccain, a Gardner supporter, told CBS4.
The critics say it’s not about abortion, and not all the critics are pro-life.
“We should not utilize our children as a prop to express our feelings as adults,” Maria Del Carmen Guzman, who said she’s pro-choice, said.
It’s the sixth ad in three months that attacks Gardner’s his pro-life position. The representative of Colorado’s 4th congressional district is running to unseat Sen. Mark Udall this November.
The woman in the ad said it was her decision to include her daughter.
“As a mother, as a woman, this is an important issue to me and my community,” Alejandra Garza said. “What really is concerning to me is the extreme positions on the other side regarding these very serious issues.” Garza said the ad’s opponents are boiling it down to something unrelated.
“She did put herself out there in a national race with national implications in a pretty explicit ad,” Michelle Lyng, a Gardner supporter, said.
Mark Udall’s campaign said Garza’s daughter was not deliberately included in the ad. Her mother, they said, brought her daughter, who asked at the last minute if she could sit on her mother’s lap.
- CBS4 Viewers Complain About Late-Night Robocalls From Candidate
- Polling And Voting Centers Open On Monday In Colorado
- Colorado AG Race Spotlights Legal Approach To Gay Marriage
- Cory Gardner’s Town Shapes Immigration View
- Election Turnout Numbers Released
- Sen. Mark Udall’s Hopes Hinge On Ground Game
- Pot Playing Little Role In Tight Colorado Contests
- Ballot Errors Reported In Palisade, Fremont County