DENVER (CBS4)– Police in Denver are investigating after people claim that they were given pot candy without their knowledge. One of those people has already filed a lawsuit.
Investigators say three people took chocolate from the LivWell marijuana company’s booth at this year’s Denver County Fair. They believe that chocolate was laced with marijuana even though no marijuana was allowed at the fair.
The “Full Melt” chocolate is an edible, laced with marijuana. A handful of people say they were given the chocolate at the fair and became sick.
Jordan Coombs said that wasn’t what he was expecting when he visited the “Pot Pavilion,” a new attraction at the fair.
“I wouldn’t have eaten a bunch of chocolate with pot in it with my four and 2-year-olds with me,” said Coombs. “That’s not my idea of a good time.”
The Pot Pavilion is an area for marijuana product vendors to visit with potential customers but the distribution of marijuana is not allowed.
Coombs said he stopped by the LivWell dispensary booth where the samples of Full Melt chocolate were being handed out.
He said he was told the chocolate did not contain pot.
“I hadn’t eaten lunch yet and I was just sitting there, kind of snacking, just eating chocolate,” said Coombs.
Within the hour, he began to feel strange, “I felt like I was having a heart attack. I started having convulsions and freaking out and said, ‘We’ve got to get to the hospital right now.'”
Doctors confirmed the cause of his reaction.
“The hospital that he went to did test for THC in his blood and he did test positive for that and was diagnosed as having overdosed on THC,” said attorney Corey Zurbuch.
Coombs and his attorney have filed a lawsuit against the companies involved.
“Somebody could have gotten behind the wheel, somebody could have put themselves in a precarious situation,” said Zurbuch.
CBS4 reached out to the companies involved but they did not return requests for comment.
The Denver County Fair issued a statement that they are devastated by the incidents.