State Senator Steve King Facing Felony Charges
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (CBS4)– State Senator Steve King is facing several criminal charges that include embezzlement, forgery and theft.
King, a Republican representing Mesa County, has been charged with three felonies and two misdemeanors.
The charges come after a long investigation. The Arapahoe County District Attorney George Brauchler handled the investigation and believes King took public property.
Brauchler took over the investigation earlier this month to avoid a conflict of interest with agencies in Mesa County or with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, which is now headed by King’s former boss.
The charges also allege King committed several “financial irregularities” in his other jobs while serving in Colorado’s State Senate.
The legal problems have forced King to drop out of the race for Mesa County Sheriff.
King told CBS4, “It would be inappropriate to comment at this time.”
RELATED STEVE KING STORIES:
- Denver Won’t Pursue Charges Against State Sen. Steve King
- Mesa County Judge Recuses Himself In Criminal Case Against Senator
- State Senator Steve King Facing Felony Charges
- 2 Incumbent Colorado Sheriffs Lose In Primary
- ‘Under The Dome’ To Air One-Hour Special Look Back
- Colorado’s First Aerial Firefighting Fleet Is Born
- Marijuana, Fires Dominate Final Legislative Day
- Some Lawmakers Reluctant To Change Colorado DUI Laws