Amy Van Dyken-Rouen Makes First Public Appearance Since Crash
DENVER (CBS4) – Since arriving back in her home state of Colorado to start rehab at Craig Hospital, Amy Van Dyken-Rouen has been captivating the community as she adjusts to life in a wheelchair.
Van Dyken has been sharing photos on social media of every milestone along the way since a near-fatal injury on June 6, from her first shower to a trip to the grocery store.
On Sunday night the former Coloradan and six-time Olympic gold medalist was busy sharing the photos with her fans of her first public appearance since the ATV wreck near her Arizona home that left her paralyzed.
“I was nervous,” Van Dyken told CBS4 of the experience at a charity dinner at Elway’s in Cherry Creek. “I’ve never been nervous for a public event ever. I was like ‘I have to go to the mall! I have to get something to go over my brace!’ “
Van Dyken said the event, which she had planned to attend long before her injury, was a much needed escape for her and her husband Tom Rouen.
Van Dyken said she has even bigger plans this week.
“I’m learning how to drive tomorrow so everybody watch out,” she joked.
Van Dyken says the support she has seen from across the state of Colorado has been remarkable. She thanked everyone for the thoughts and prayers sent her way over the last couple of months.
- Van Dyken-Rouen Takes Next Step In Rehab
- Van Dyken-Rouen Heading Home ‘1,000 Times Better’
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen Leaving Craig Hospital
- Van Dyken Joins Patients For Annual Boating Day
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen Makes First Public Appearance Since Crash
- Top 5 Colorado Sports Stories In 2014 So Far
- Van Dyken Now Taking Short Trips Many Take For Granted
- Van Dyken Staying Positive On Social Media