Alkali Fire Could Be Fully Contained By Sunday
CRAIG, Colo. (AP) — Firefighters hope to have a 32-square-mile wildfire in northwestern Colorado fully contained by Sunday.
The Alkali Fire, burning on mostly private land near Maybell, was listed as 75 percent contained Saturday.
The fire killed three cattle, destroyed a cabin, barn and propane tank. The cause is still under investigation.
Firefighters are also moving closer to fully containing a 276-acre wildfire, the Carl’s Hole Fire, about 30 miles west of Meeker. It was started Tuesday night by lightning.
Latest Wildfire Reports
- Crews Battle Wildfires During Saturday’s Warm, Windy Conditions
- Prescribed Burns Planned On Federal Land In San Luis Valley
- Report Says Beetles Don’t Make Forests More Likely To Burn
- Prescribed Burns Postponed At Rocky Mountain Arsenal Refuge
- Heat Breaking Colorado Weather Records, Raising Fire Danger
- 12-Year-Old Boy Issued Summons For Starting Brush Fire Near Aurora Reservoir
– Visit CBSDenver.com’s Living With Wildfire section.
Wildfire Photo Galleries
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)