THORNTON, Colo. (AP) – Authorities are blaming a destructive house fire in Thornton on a small marijuana growing operation in the basement.
Thornton Police spokesman Matt Barnes says the Tuesday morning fire was caused by overloaded extension cords associated with the growing of three pot plants.
He says the fire damage was extensive and the house is uninhabitable. No one was hurt.
No one has been charged with a crime, since Colorado’s pot laws allow adults 21 and over to grow up to six plants at home. But Barnes says fires related to home growing operations have historically been a challenge because of the electrical problems they can cause.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)