PAGOSA SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4) – A wildfire in the San Juan National Forest in Southwest Colorado has prompted the evacuation of a campground.
The fire, which is being called the KV fire, started Wednesday night after a lightning strike. It is burning just north of Highway 160 near a road called the First Fork Road. That’s between Bayfield and Pagosa Springs.
Officials said a helicopter and firefighters on the ground were fighting the fire on Thursday.
The last estimate of the size of the fire was 10 acres.
The Lower Piedra campground was being evacuated as a precaution on Friday morning.
Latest Wildfire Reports
- National Stories That Made Headlines In 2017
- Grass Fire Puts Up A Lot Of Smoke Near Mead
- House Burns Down In The Foothills
- Firefighter Dies Battling Huge California Wildfire
- West Metro Firefighters Help Thirsty Dog Near California Wildfires
- Video: Panicked Man Rescues Rabbit From California Wildfire
– Visit CBSDenver.com’s Living With Wildfire section.
Wildfire Photo Galleries