PAGOSA SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4) – A wildfire in the San Juan National Forest in Southwest Colorado has prompted the evacuation of a campground.
The fire, which is being called the KV fire, started Wednesday night after a lightning strike. It is burning just north of Highway 160 near a road called the First Fork Road. That’s between Bayfield and Pagosa Springs.
Officials said a helicopter and firefighters on the ground were fighting the fire on Thursday.
The last estimate of the size of the fire was 10 acres.
The Lower Piedra campground was being evacuated as a precaution on Friday morning.
Latest Wildfire Reports
- Junkins Wildfire Now 50 Percent Contained
- Heat, Wind, Clear Skies Intensify Junkins Fire
- Arrest Made In Beaver Creek Fire Investigation
- Firefighters Hopeful About Battle Against Junkins Fire
- Some Wildfire Evacuees Near Beulah Allowed Back Home
- Fire Crews Make Progress On Junkins Fire
– Visit CBSDenver.com’s Living With Wildfire section.
Wildfire Photo Galleries