HUDSON, Colo. (CBS4) – An early morning house fire severely damaged two homes in Highlands Ranch on Saturday and fire crews say fireworks may be to blame.

Black charred walls stand as a reminder of the roaring fire.

The damage from the fire (credit: CBS)

The damage from the fire (credit: CBS)

“The flames were pretty much engulfed on both sides of the house,” said Katie Peters, who lives across the street on Paramatta Place.

Peters took photos of the fire that show the flames that she says felt like a furnace.

Littleton crews quickly got the fire under control. They say the cause appears to be fireworks.

“They were legal fireworks, but they just were disposed of improperly,” Cpt. Dave Ullery with the Littleton Fire Department said.

On the July 4 holiday members of the home were using fireworks and firefighters say put them in the trash bin between the two homes, but they say those fireworks weren’t cooled down enough.

“The trash bin then caught on fire, extended up the wall of the exterior of the house,” Ullery said.

The fire burned into a 3-year-old girl’s bedroom who luckily wasn’t home at the time.

Nobody was hurt but firefighters say It’s a real reminder that even legal fireworks can be dangerous.

“Pick them up with some kind of external tool and just throw them in bucket of water overnight,” Ullery said.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s