ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4)– Firefighters rushed to put out a fire burning near the Arapahoe County Fairgrounds. The fire burned about one-half acre before crews put it out.
The fire broke out just before 4:30 p.m. in a grassy field with trees east of the Arapahoe County Fairgrounds at Quincy and Powhaton.
Firefighters had to walk to reach the fire. The terrain was too steep for crews to drive to the blaze. They had to use hand tools to fight the fire.
No structures were threatened by the fire.
Copter4 flew over the fire where it was putting out a lot of smoke and turning the grass black.
What caused the fire is being investigated.
Latest Wildfire Reports
- Feds Announce $10 Million For Wildfire Projects In Colorado, 11 Other States
- Largest Firefighting Aircraft In U.S. Flies Into Colorado Springs
- Crews At Peterson AFB Get Aircraft Ready For Wildfire Season
- Forest Service: 2016 Wildfire Season Expected To Be Less Severe
- Colorado To Forecast 2016 Wildfire Season After 2 Mild Years
- Grass Fire Forces 9 Homes To Evacuate In Colorado Springs
– Visit CBSDenver.com’s Wildfire Resources section.
Wildfire Photo Galleries