Relics From Union Station Unearthed During Renovations
DENVER (CBS4) – With Union Station’s big re-opening later this summer, construction crews have uncovered some old treasures. Some of the items are from the year 1900 or earlier.
There’s new artwork from local artists being hung in new hotel rooms, but interspersed with the glitz will be some relics from the rail station’s history. Nobody had any idea the original benches at Union Station held chapters of Denver history inside.
“Some of it was barely legible,” art consultant Molly Casey said. “Old luggage tickets, so hopefully those people actually got their luggage.”
And old time Hollywood star cards.
“People used to collect Hollywood icon cards,” Casey said.
They were caked with dirt. Now they’re polished, preserved, framed and ready to adorn the walls with a blend of new and old.
There are original linen blueprints for the 1914 expansion to the station.
“Linen is something architects used before they started moving to paper,” Casey said.
Union Station will offer transportation, retail, food and drink — but the artistic consultants hope visitors will drink in the history hung around almost every corner.
All of the historical items will be displayed in the public areas of Union Station so that everyone can enjoy them.
- CDOT: Too Soon To Call Bustang ‘A Bust’
- Rock ‘N’ Roll Denver ½ Marathon Rocks New Course
- Biennial Of The Americas Celebrates Arts, Music, Culture & Ideas
- Check Out All Of The Incentives To Participate In ‘Bike To Work Day’
- RTD Shows Off Its North Rail Line Project That Will Ease Congestion
- Bustang Designed To Cut Down On Congestion, Stress
- Go Behind The Scenes At Doors Open Denver
- Historic Denver Adds Capitol Hill To Their Walking Tours Program
- Train Arrives At DIA For The First Time
- Transportation Rally Puts Spotlight On Congress
- Commuter Rail Cars Take Test Ride Along Tracks To DIA
- Talks Planned About Future Of Winter Park Ski Train
- Ski Train Returns For 1 Day, Trip To Winter Park
- 24-Foot-Tall Sculpture Will Always Be In Motion At Union Station
- Denver Lives Up To ‘Cow Town’ Nickname With Stock Show Parade