DENVER (CBS4) – With Union Station’s big re-opening later this summer, construction crews have uncovered some old treasures. Some of the items are from the year 1900 or earlier.
There’s new artwork from local artists being hung in new hotel rooms, but interspersed with the glitz will be some relics from the rail station’s history. Nobody had any idea the original benches at Union Station held chapters of Denver history inside.
“Some of it was barely legible,” art consultant Molly Casey said. “Old luggage tickets, so hopefully those people actually got their luggage.”
And old time Hollywood star cards.
“People used to collect Hollywood icon cards,” Casey said.
They were caked with dirt. Now they’re polished, preserved, framed and ready to adorn the walls with a blend of new and old.
There are original linen blueprints for the 1914 expansion to the station.
“Linen is something architects used before they started moving to paper,” Casey said.
Union Station will offer transportation, retail, food and drink — but the artistic consultants hope visitors will drink in the history hung around almost every corner.
All of the historical items will be displayed in the public areas of Union Station so that everyone can enjoy them.
- Lightning Forces Another A Line Closure
- Denver’s ‘Train To The Plane’ Has Had Multiple Problems In Its Short History
- A Line Loses Power, Passengers Rescued From Train Stuck On Bridge
- Flaggers Monitor A Line Crossings After Issue With Gates
- More Options For RTD Riders Via New B-Cycle Hub At Union Station
- CU-Denver Students Treat New ‘Plane To The Train’ Passengers To ‘Iron Pour’
- Rail Service To DIA Considered Expensive Compared To Others
- City County Building, Union Station Purple Tribute To Prince
- RTD Helps Those With Disabilities Learn New A Line
- Platform Parties Planned For Train To DIA’s Grand Opening
- Progress Being Made On RTD’s Northwest Rail Line
- Excitement Builds As RTD Shows Off New Commuter Train To DIA
- Las Vegas Representatives Tour Union Station
- New App Helps With Trip Planning Around Denver
- Parade, Celebration For Broncos Planned For Tuesday Expected To Be Huge