Relics From Union Station Unearthed During Renovations
DENVER (CBS4) – With Union Station’s big re-opening later this summer, construction crews have uncovered some old treasures. Some of the items are from the year 1900 or earlier.
There’s new artwork from local artists being hung in new hotel rooms, but interspersed with the glitz will be some relics from the rail station’s history. Nobody had any idea the original benches at Union Station held chapters of Denver history inside.
“Some of it was barely legible,” art consultant Molly Casey said. “Old luggage tickets, so hopefully those people actually got their luggage.”
And old time Hollywood star cards.
“People used to collect Hollywood icon cards,” Casey said.
They were caked with dirt. Now they’re polished, preserved, framed and ready to adorn the walls with a blend of new and old.
There are original linen blueprints for the 1914 expansion to the station.
“Linen is something architects used before they started moving to paper,” Casey said.
Union Station will offer transportation, retail, food and drink — but the artistic consultants hope visitors will drink in the history hung around almost every corner.
All of the historical items will be displayed in the public areas of Union Station so that everyone can enjoy them.
- Meet The Woman Behind The Revitalization Of Union Station
- Retail At Union Station Reflects Colorado Style
- Snooze Opens New Location In Renovated Union Station
- Fountains Begin Flowing Outside Union Station
- Hancock Focuses On Economic Gains In Denver’s State Of The City Address
- Second Restaurant Opens Inside Denver’s Remodeled Union Station
- Union Station Gala Raises $1 Million For Local Charities
- New Crawford Hotel At Union Station Gets Ready For Guests
- Seafood Restaurant Becomes First To Open In Union Station
- Union Station Investment To Drive Development
- Construction At Union Station Expands To Create New Neighborhood
- Federal Boulevard Closure Marks Significant Progress On FasTracks
- Relics From Union Station Unearthed During Renovations
- Denver’s East Rail Line Makes Progress
- Grand Opening For New Union Station Pushed Back