DENVER (CBS4)– The East Rail Line construction that will connect Denver’s Union Station to Denver International Airport is making progress.
Construction crews are laying 23 miles of new track to carry a commuter rail trains that are heavier, faster and can carry more passengers than traditional light rail.
“The reason some areas look done from the standpoint of the casual observer is because the civil work always comes first,” Project Manager Kevin Flynn told CBS4 Traffic Specialist Joel Hillan.
Systems work includes electrification of the overhead lines, signaling systems, communications and switches.
While much of the construction will be finished by December, the East Rail Line is scheduled to be fully operational in two years.
Flynn said progress is slower as you get closer to Denver because they couldn’t start the project until they moved the Union Pacific and their facilities out of the way.
How much it will cost to ride the train to DIA is still up in the air. Several committees will study the costs and determine the rates.
RTD is hoping to keep the cost close to their Skyride service which is anywhere from $9 to $13.
- More Options For RTD Riders Via New B-Cycle Hub At Union Station
- CU-Denver Students Treat New ‘Plane To The Train’ Passengers To ‘Iron Pour’
- Rail Service To DIA Considered Expensive Compared To Others
- City County Building, Union Station Purple Tribute To Prince
- RTD Helps Those With Disabilities Learn New A Line
- Platform Parties Planned For Train To DIA’s Grand Opening
- Progress Being Made On RTD’s Northwest Rail Line
- Excitement Builds As RTD Shows Off New Commuter Train To DIA
- Las Vegas Representatives Tour Union Station
- New App Helps With Trip Planning Around Denver
- Parade, Celebration For Broncos Planned For Tuesday Expected To Be Huge
- Denver Reveals Victory Parade Plan For Super Bowl Champion Broncos
- RTD Runs Emergency Drills On DIA Commuter Rail Line
- ‘Cow Town’ Moniker Holds True As Livestock Take To The Streets
- Flatiron Flyer Begins Bus Service Along Hwy. 36 On Sunday