Denver’s East Rail Line Makes Progress
DENVER (CBS4)- The East Rail Line construction that will connect Denver’s Union Station to Denver International Airport is making progress.
Construction crews are laying 23 miles of new track to carry a commuter rail trains that are heavier, faster and can carry more passengers than traditional light rail.
“The reason some areas look done from the standpoint of the casual observer is because the civil work always comes first,” Project Manager Kevin Flynn told CBS4 Traffic Specialist Joel Hillan.
Systems work includes electrification of the overhead lines, signaling systems, communications and switches.
While much of the construction will be finished by December, the East Rail Line is scheduled to be fully operational in two years.
Flynn said progress is slower as you get closer to Denver because they couldn’t start the project until they moved the Union Pacific and their facilities out of the way.
How much it will cost to ride the train to DIA is still up in the air. Several committees will study the costs and determine the rates.
RTD is hoping to keep the cost close to their Skyride service which is anywhere from $9 to $13.
- Denver Lives Up To ‘Cow Town’ Nickname With Stock Show Parade
- CDOT Offers Peek This Week At ‘Bustang,’ Colorado’s Bus Service
- Last Piece Of Rail From Union Station To DIA Now In Place
- Whole Foods Coming To Union Station Neighborhood
- Fire, Explosions Shut Down ‘W’ Light Rail Line In Lakewood
- Defective Commuter Rail Bridge Demolished, Will Be Rebuilt
- Hillary Clinton Swings By Colorado To Help Udall
- FasTracks East Rail Line To DIA On Track For Early Debut In 2016
- Union Station Home To A Wartime Heartbreaking Love Story
- Group Representing The Disabled Files Lawsuit Over Union Station
- Getting Around The Renovated Union Station: A How-To Guide
- New Union Station Is Officially Open For Business
- Renovated Union Station’s Grand Reopening Creates Huge Buzz
- ink! Coffee Joins Booming Business At Renovated Union Station
- History Of Denver’s Union Station