Denver’s East Rail Line Makes Progress
DENVER (CBS4)- The East Rail Line construction that will connect Denver’s Union Station to Denver International Airport is making progress.
Construction crews are laying 23 miles of new track to carry a commuter rail trains that are heavier, faster and can carry more passengers than traditional light rail.
“The reason some areas look done from the standpoint of the casual observer is because the civil work always comes first,” Project Manager Kevin Flynn told CBS4 Traffic Specialist Joel Hillan.
Systems work includes electrification of the overhead lines, signaling systems, communications and switches.
While much of the construction will be finished by December, the East Rail Line is scheduled to be fully operational in two years.
Flynn said progress is slower as you get closer to Denver because they couldn’t start the project until they moved the Union Pacific and their facilities out of the way.
How much it will cost to ride the train to DIA is still up in the air. Several committees will study the costs and determine the rates.
RTD is hoping to keep the cost close to their Skyride service which is anywhere from $9 to $13.
- Group Representing The Disabled Files Lawsuit Over Union Station
- Getting Around The Renovated Union Station: A How-To Guide
- New Union Station Is Officially Open For Business
- Renovated Union Station’s Grand Reopening Creates Huge Buzz
- ink! Coffee Joins Booming Business At Renovated Union Station
- History Of Denver’s Union Station
- Meet The Woman Behind The Revitalization Of Union Station
- Retail At Union Station Reflects Colorado Style
- Snooze Opens New Location In Renovated Union Station
- Fountains Begin Flowing Outside Union Station
- Hancock Focuses On Economic Gains In Denver’s State Of The City Address
- Second Restaurant Opens Inside Denver’s Remodeled Union Station
- Union Station Gala Raises $1 Million For Local Charities
- New Crawford Hotel At Union Station Gets Ready For Guests
- Seafood Restaurant Becomes First To Open In Union Station