DENVER (CBS4) – Broncos defensive star Von Miller told CBS4 last week at a Von’s Vision Foundation event that unlike many of his teammates who leave the state at this quiet time of year in the football world, he plans to stay in Colorado.
The Texas native said he’s never been to Red Rocks, and he’s only been to the mountains twice! (And both times, he said, were only surgery-related visits.) He sounded eager to explore the great state of Colorado.
So, here are a few travel suggestions for you, Von, until it’s time for Broncos Training Camp:
1. Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve: The dunes would be a great place for you to give your surgically repaired leg a workout, Von. The towering dunes are the tallest dunes in North America, and jogging to the top of them takes real effort. nps.gov/grsa
2. Colorado Gators Alligator Farm & Reptile Park: Not far from the Sand Dunes in the San Luis Valley is a most unexpected “alligator farm.” You’re vicious on the field, Von, and maybe with that no-holds-barred attitude the alligator handlers might give you a chance to wrestle with the gators a little. Our money’s on you if you decide to grapple. gatorfarm.com
3. Carousel of Happiness – Everyone who heads to the foothills west of Boulder should check out the Carousel of Happiness in Nederland. And wouldn’t sharing a pic on Twitter of you on the pony be awesome for Bronco fans to see? (We would’ve said pick the bronco but there is none. The “Navajo Pony” was the closest animal. A donkey was the second closest, but that would be a very poor choice, for obvious reasons.) carouselofhappiness.org
4. Denver Mint – Since you’re making so much money playing for the Broncos, perhaps you might like to learn a bit more about the American monetary system. The Denver Mint is one of only two mints in the country that offer tours, and since you’re rolling in the green stuff, perhaps you might like to see where it’s made! usmint.gov
5. Mount Massive – Since you haven’t really gotten to spend any time in the mountains, our first high elevation experience we’d recommend would certainly be skiing. But it’s summer, so how ’bout climbing a fourteener? At 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds you’re a massively intimidating force for the Broncos defense, so it seem like the 14,428 foot Mount Massive in the Sawatch Range would be a good mountain to scale. Just remember, Von, the air is thinner up there, and you won’t have oxygen readily available!