Musicians + Sports: How The Fray (Barely) Survived Super Bowl XLVIII
By Scott T. Sterling
This year’s Super Bowl was a particularly bitter pill for Denver Broncos fans to swallow. The Peyton Manning-led squad was systematically dismantled by the Seattle Seahawks, reflected in the lopsided final score of 43-8.
For Denver band The Fray, it was an especially tough slog, as the members performed at the Super Bowl Kickoff Spectacular event alongside Daughtry and the Goo Goo Dolls. Not only that, but they were graced with great seats for the game, where they endured the brutal on-field shellacking of their hometown heroes up close and personally.
“We’re Denver boys,” explained the Fray’s guitarist Joe King during an exclusive interview with the band’s frontman, Isaac Slade. “We grew up watching games and wishing we could go to games…We were Row 1 on the 20 yard line, there’s not a better seat,” he added in regards to the Super Bowl. “You could jump on the field to the most soul-crushing game I’ve ever seen. I’m still proud, it was just tough to watch. I was with my fiancé next to me, and I don’t think she’s ever seen me cave in like that where I just wouldn’t talk to her. It was hard to see.”
Watch King and Slade relive every heart-wrenching moment of Super Bowl XLVIII, as well as Slade finding something inspiring about their bitter rivals, the Seahawks, in the exclusive video clip above.
The Fray is currently on tour across North America in support of the band’s most recent album, Helios, which was released in February of this year.
Latest Broncos Stories
- First Lady In Colorado As Election Day Approaches
- Hickenlooper, Beauprez Meet For Another Debate
- Food-Label Measure In Colorado Sparks Big Spending
- In Bid To Keep Office, Hickenlooper Touts Strong Economy, Pragmatic Compromise
- Boulder County Clerk Explains How They Spot Potential Voter Fraud
- Beauprez Pins State’s Success To Local Control, Hands-Off Government
- Order To Remove CSU Student Newspaper Copies Reversed
- Hillary Clinton Headlines ‘Get Out The Vote’ Rally For Udall
- Parties Vie For Control Of Colorado Legislature
- Gardner Outraises Udall As Voting Begins
- Hillary Clinton Returns To Colorado To Help Udall
- Christie In Colorado Again To Stump For Beauprez
- Some Coloradans Angry Over Late-Night Candidate Robocalls
- Denver Won’t Pursue Charges Against State Sen. Steve King
- Colorado Tests Reach Of Democrats’ Ground Game