CASTLE ROCK, Colo. (CBS4) – A Castle Rock family was able to escape from their home overnight after the garage caught fire and was heavily damaged.
Neighbor Nate Keller was outside the home when he spotted the flames just after midnight. Keller credits Wednesday’s disappointing overtime loss for the Avs with helping save the lives of the family inside that burning home.
“I went to watch the Avs game with a couple of other friends,” said Keller.
Keller is a 911 dispatcher and an avid Avalanche fan. That game kept him out later than usual on his night off, which is why he noticed something unusual on his drive home.
“Instinct told me to pull onto that street and go investigate and find out what was going on,” said Keller.
That’s when Keller jumped into action to help save four people inside that home, two adults and two children, as well as their dog.
“He saved our lives. Really, I truly believe that the timing was impeccable that he stopped by and knocked on the door,” said fire victim Jonathan Clark.
The house located at 2091 Summerfield Drive was on fire, flames shooting from the roof of the garage.
“I went straight to the door, started banging on the door, yelling, ‘Get out! Get out! House fire!,'” said Keller.
Keller said he just tapped into his experience working as a firefighter in Vail years ago.
The fire tore through the roof of the garage and appeared to cause some damage to the main part of the home as well.
“My adrenaline didn’t set in until after the fact. It was eerily calm,” said Keller.
Investigators are trying to figure out what started that fire. There were no cars in the garage during the fire.
“I’m glad the family is safe,” said Keller. “Unfortunately the home is a loss and the Avs lost but we’re here for another day.”