Mikaela Shiffrin Meets Young Fans In Denver
DENVER (CBS4) – The first person in line to meet Olympic gold medalist Mikaela Shiffrin on Saturday in Denver was a 7-year-old skier with high hopes.
“My ski instructor said I ski like her,” Brynn said of the 19-year-old ski sensation and Colorado native.
The second grader did a project this week profiling Shiffrin’s life and successes, and got a 4 (out of 4) on the project.
“I always liked how she does her turns,” Brynn told CBS4.
Shiffrin made an appearance at the King Soopers on South Sheridan in the morning to support the food company Barilla’s recently launched Share The Table program. The program helps support Feeding America.
She talked with employees and signed autographs for Brynn and other young fans.
Shiffrin told CBS4 she is still excited about her gold medal win in the Olympics. She says winning was a “dream come true.”
“It’s kind of hard to explain. I haven’t even thought about it too much because the more I think about it the more I’m like ‘I don’t understand … How did that even happen already?’ “
“Just last year I was thinking ‘I could go to Sochi and win a medal, maybe.’ “
Shiffrin said her experience both on and off the slopes in Russia was very positive, and when asked about the next Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea, in 2018 her response was:
“Hopefully I’ll be there!”
Shiffrin was also the slalom World Cup title winner last season and was honored by the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame earlier this month as athlete of the Year.
Shiffrin said she is currently focusing on studying for the SAT and isn’t quite sure how she’s going to approach going to college – she won’t be able to start in the fall due to her U.S. Ski Team schedule.
Shiffrin is training in New Zealand this summer and will be skiing in the fall.
- Lack Of Snow Isn’t Keeping Olympians From World Championships Training
- Mikaela Shiffrin Meets Young Fans In Denver
- Mikaela Shiffrin’s Family Elated Over Gold Medal Win
- Coloradan Mikaela Shiffrin Wins Gold In Olympic Slalom
- Skiing World Reacts To Vonn’s Big Announcement
- Women’s Giant Slalom A Good Test Run For Beaver Creek Before 2015
- Vail’s Mikaela Shiffrin Places 2nd In Giant Slalom In Beaver Creek
- Vail’s Shiffrin Is The Latest Colorado Skiing Sensation