CENTENNIAL, Colo. (CBS4) – A mother accused of telling her 6-year-old son he had cancer was back in court Friday morning.
A judge kept the bond for Sandy Nguyen at $10,000.
The Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Department says Nguyen, 28, convinced her son, family and the community around them that her son had cancer since September of 2012.
Nguyen is accused of holding fundraisers based on the lie. The charges of theft, charitable fraud and child abuse against her were filed in March.
The community raised money for her son through school fundraisers and other methods, raising over $25,000, which was placed into an account for the family to use. The affidavit says the principal at the boy’s school told police during fundraising events they had 100 percent participation from over 600 students. Some of the children even gave up allowance and asked grandparents for money to help.
Nguyen’s next court appearance is on June 2.
More Sandy Nguyen Stories
- Aurora Woman Who Faked Son’s Cancer Sentenced
- Friend Of Woman Accused Of Lying To Son About Cancer Feels Betrayed
- Bond Continued For Woman Accused Of Lying To Son About Cancer
- Woman Accused Of Lying To Son About Cancer Faces Child Abuse Charge
- Woman Accused Of Fooling Family, Community Son Had Cancer