Homeowner Accidentally Sparks House Fire In Black Forest

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4) – The sight of smoke in the Black Forest north of Colorado Springs gave many neighbors a big scare on Monday. Those residents lived through the state’s most destructive wildfire last summer.

Firefighters say a house on Milam Road near Burgess Road caught fire during the day after a homeowner put ashes into a metal container located near some bushes. Those bushes caught fire and the flames quickly spread to the home.

Officials said the home was a total loss after the fire.

The fire chief ruled the cause as accidental and the homeowner will not face charges.

Neighbor Elizabeth Wilkinson told CBS4 sister station KKTV the sight of the smoke in the sky on Monday was frightening.

“I thought ‘Oh no, not again.’ With the Red Flag Warning today and the high fire danger and to know someone was careless (it was scary),” she said.

The Black Forest Fire burned approximately 15,000 acres in June 2013 and destroyed 486 homes. Two residents were killed. The cause of the fire still hasn’t been determined.

GALLERY: Black Forest Fire

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

NEWS TEAM
BRONCOS CENTRAL

Listen Live

AM/FM Stations

Featured Shows & Multimedia