Fatal Crash Suspect In U.S. Illegally, Has 3 Alcohol-Related Convictions
AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – Police in Aurora have released the identity of the driver they say is responsible for a collision that killed a teenager, and the suspect has three prior convictions for impaired or drunk driving.
Ever Olivos-Gutierrez, 40, is accused of going 80 miles per hour down East Colfax Avenue and sideswiping 17-year-old Juan Carlos Dominguez-Palomino’s Camaro at Dayton Street just after midnight on Monday.
Dominguez-Palomino died at the scene.
According to police, Olivos-Gutierrez’s has been in the U.S. illegally. His visa expired in 2004 and he has an extensive history of traffic-related offenses. He now faces charges of first-degree murder.
Family members say Dominguez-Palomino was studying to be a mechanic and was supposed to start a new internship the day he was killed.
Holding up pieces of her cousin’s car just one day after his death, Alma Sanchez testified in front of lawmakers for a bill to give mandatory jail time in cases of vehicular homicide and assault that involve drugs or alcohol.
“If it deters one DUI driver, that’s good, that’s great, what are we waiting for, come on, let’s do it, I want to see some action, unfortunately this is not going to help my cousin but it’s going to help somebody else,” said Sanchez.
The bill passed out of this committee with a unanimous vote.
Olivos-Gutierrez remains guarded in a local hospital for injuries he received in the accident. His photo hasn’t been released because he remains hospitalized.
According to Aurora police, the charges Olivos-Gutierrez faces are as follows:
- Murder in the First Degree extreme indifference F1
- Vehicular Homicide (DUI) F3
- Vehicular Homicide (Reckless) F4
- Driving while Habitual Traffic Offender (DUI) F6
- Driving while Habitual Traffic Offender (Reckless) F6
- Driving Under the Influence Third or Subsequent Offense M1
- Driving while Under the Influence of Alcohol, Drugs or Both M1
- Drove with Excessive Alcohol M1
- Reckless Driving MT2
- Drove Vehicle other than Vehicle Equipped with Interlock MT1
- Aurora Police Want Help Identifying Possible Witnesses To Fatal Hit & Run
- Fatal Crash Suspect In U.S. Illegally, Has 3 Alcohol-Related Convictions
- Friends & Family Gather To Remember Teen Killed In Aurora Crash