DENVER (AP) – Attorneys for James Holmes, the man charged with the Colorado theater massacre, are asking the judge for an order allowing Denver Health Medical Center personnel to talk to the defense about psychiatric treatment Holmes received four months after his arrest.
In a motion filed Thursday, defense lawyers said the hospital is willing to cooperate but wants a court order first to address some concerns. The concerns are redacted from the motion.
Holmes pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of killing 12 people and injuring 70 in the 2012 attack.
He was taken from jail to Denver Health in November 2012 for undisclosed medical and psychiatric treatment. His lawyers say the staff’s observations are important.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty. Trial is scheduled to start in October.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More Aurora Movie Shooting Stories
- Aurora Theater Shooting Victim’s Mother Speaks At Gorsuch Hearing
- Quadriplegic Theater Shooting Survivor Loves To Work Hard
- Theater Ends Request That Shooting Victims Pay Legal Fees
- Document Reveals James Holmes Is In Solitary Confinement
- Funding For Aurora Shooting Victim Memorial Suddenly Reaches Its Goal
- Some Theater Shooting Victims Appeal Dismissal Of Cinemark Suit
- 4 Years Later, Fundraising For Aurora Memorial Continues