Holmes’ Lawyers Want To Talk To Hospital Staff
DENVER (AP) – Attorneys for James Holmes, the man charged with the Colorado theater massacre, are asking the judge for an order allowing Denver Health Medical Center personnel to talk to the defense about psychiatric treatment Holmes received four months after his arrest.
In a motion filed Thursday, defense lawyers said the hospital is willing to cooperate but wants a court order first to address some concerns. The concerns are redacted from the motion.
Holmes pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of killing 12 people and injuring 70 in the 2012 attack.
He was taken from jail to Denver Health in November 2012 for undisclosed medical and psychiatric treatment. His lawyers say the staff’s observations are important.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty. Trial is scheduled to start in October.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More Aurora Movie Shooting Stories
- Woman Sent To Jail For Courtroom Outburst Faces Additional Charges
- Colorado Theater Shooting Judge Holds Woman In Contempt
- Woman Yells ‘Don’t Kill Him’ During Closing Arguments At Theater Shooting Trial
- Aurora Theater Shooter Went From Happy Boy To Mass Killer
- James Holmes’ Mother: ‘I Still Love My Son’
- Theater Shooter’s Mom: Silence Was His Loudest Cry For Help
- James Holmes & His Father Exchange Smiles During Testimony