Doctor Appointed For James Holmes’ 2nd Sanity Exam
DENVER (AP) – A psychiatrist has been appointed to conduct a second sanity evaluation of the man charged with killing 12 people in a Colorado movie theater, but the doctor’s name hasn’t been released.
The judge issued an order Tuesday appointing the psychiatrist. The name was redacted.
James Holmes pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of murder and attempted murder in the July 2012 attack on a suburban Denver theater.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
Holmes underwent a sanity evaluation last year, but last month the judge ordered a new one, saying the first was based on insufficient data and reached unsupported conclusions. The report hasn’t been made public.
A report on the new evaluation is due to the judge July 11. Holmes’ trial is scheduled for Oct. 14.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More Aurora Movie Shooting Stories
- AP: Records Show University’s Response To James Holmes
- District Attorney George Brauchler Considers Run For U.S. Senate
- Colorado Theater Shooter Being Assessed For Prison
- Aurora Theater Gunman Sentenced To 12 Life Sentences, 3,318 Years In Prison
- Judge Formally Sentences James Holmes To Life In Prison
- The Latest: Judge Gives Holmes The Maximum, Orders Him Away
- James Holmes Likely To Get One Of The Longest Sentences In History