DENVER (AP) – A psychiatrist has been appointed to conduct a second sanity evaluation of the man charged with killing 12 people in a Colorado movie theater, but the doctor’s name hasn’t been released.
The judge issued an order Tuesday appointing the psychiatrist. The name was redacted.
James Holmes pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of murder and attempted murder in the July 2012 attack on a suburban Denver theater.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
Holmes underwent a sanity evaluation last year, but last month the judge ordered a new one, saying the first was based on insufficient data and reached unsupported conclusions. The report hasn’t been made public.
A report on the new evaluation is due to the judge July 11. Holmes’ trial is scheduled for Oct. 14.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More Aurora Movie Shooting Stories
- Aurora Theater Shooting Hero Prepares For Leg Amputation
- Aurora Theater Shooter Transferred To Pennsylvania Prison
- Vigil Held In Middle Of Night, Exactly 5 Years After Aurora Movie Shooting
- Plans Progressing For Theater Shooting Memorial That Will ‘Bring Peace’
- Vigil To Mark 5th Anniversary Of Aurora Theater Shooting
- Hundreds Attend Festival To Honor Aurora Theater Shooting Victim
- Aurora Theater Shooting Victim’s Mother Speaks At Gorsuch Hearing