Doctor Appointed For James Holmes’ 2nd Sanity Exam
DENVER (AP) – A psychiatrist has been appointed to conduct a second sanity evaluation of the man charged with killing 12 people in a Colorado movie theater, but the doctor’s name hasn’t been released.
The judge issued an order Tuesday appointing the psychiatrist. The name was redacted.
James Holmes pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of murder and attempted murder in the July 2012 attack on a suburban Denver theater.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
Holmes underwent a sanity evaluation last year, but last month the judge ordered a new one, saying the first was based on insufficient data and reached unsupported conclusions. The report hasn’t been made public.
A report on the new evaluation is due to the judge July 11. Holmes’ trial is scheduled for Oct. 14.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More Aurora Movie Shooting Stories
- Women Sent Theater Shooter Photos Which He Hung In His Cell
- Theater Shooter: ‘I Took The Blood That Wasn’t Mine To Take’
- Judge In Theater Shooting Possesses Cool Head, Strong Will
- Doctor Who Found Holmes Insane Didn’t Watch Much Of Video
- Defense Psychiatrist Interviewed Holmes 4 Days After Shooting, Declared Him Insane
- Defense’s Psychiatrist Says He Had No Doubt Holmes Was Psychotic
- Attorneys For Theater Gunman To Open Defense Case Thursday