Partial Remains Found In 2011 Missing Woman Case, Family Has Many Questions
JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4)– Partial remains of a woman who has been missing since 2011 have been found in Adams and Jefferson Counties.
Amy Ahonen was last seen July 8, 2011. Her Jeep was found off Highway 6 in Clear Creek Canyon near Golden with her cell phone and wallet inside. Friends believe she may have been hiking.
Searches went on for days but there was no sign of the Denver woman or where she went until now.
The Jefferson County Coroner confirmed that a bone discovered in a section of Clear Creek in Wheatridge belonged to Ahonen, 38. That bone was found in Nov. 2013. Another part of her remains was found downstream in Adams County.
Authorities said DNA from the two bones matched that of Ahonen.
“We all held out a lot of hope and it feels horrible to have every last bit of it crushed,” said Amy’s sister, Alison Ahonen.
Her family said even though they know she is dead, they still have a lot of questions about her disappearance.
“Once I got off the phone I just kind of hit the floor, it’s something that we knew was a possibility but it’s extremely hard to hear,” said Amy’s sister Annette Ahonen.
Her family said even though they have some closure there are still a lot of questions.
“We still want to know what happened to her and how she came to be in different places along the creek,” said Annette.
At the time of Ahonen’s disappearance her family wondered if Travis Forbes, the man convicted of abducting and killing Denver teen Kenia Monge might be involved. Investigators have never confirmed a link.
It’s unclear if foul play is suspected in Ahonen’s disappearance.
Amy Ahonen Archive Stories
- More Of Amy Ahonen’s Remains Found In Clear Creek
- Partial Remains Found In 2011 Missing Woman Case, Family Has Many Questions
- Family Of Missing Woman Amy Ahonen Says Her Remains Have Been Found
- 1 Year Passes Since Denver Woman’s Disappearance
- Search For Amy Ahonen Continues, Fundraiser Held
- Volunteers To Search For Missing Denver Woman This Weekend
- Friends Of Missing Woman Put Up Flyers After Officials Suspend Search