ADAMS COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – Firefighters battled a raging fire at an Adams County condominium complex Tuesday afternoon.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

The fire broke out at the condo complex located in the 8700 block of Corona Street in unincorporated Adams County, which is close to the intersection of 88th and Corona, at around 1:30 p.m.

(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

The North Washington Fire Department along with multiple others worked the fire at the Corona Village Condominiums. Flames could be seen from miles away as several three-story units were fully engulfed.

VIDEO: Copter4 Aerials

People could be seen running away from the two buildings that caught on fire.

PHOTO GALLERY: Fire At Condos In Adams County

So far there haven’t been any reports of major injuries, but because of the intensity of the fire crews have yet to be able to get near the buildings. Fire officials firefighter suffered minor injuries.

The cause of the fire hasn’t been officially released, but witnesses told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger the fire started after a propane tank for a grill exploded on the balcony of one of the units.

“I was listening to music and I heard a loud explosion and I looked forward and everything was in flames,” a witness said.

Residents credit authorities with getting them out of the buildings quickly.

“They did a reverse 911 as well to get everyone evacuated,” a resident said.

Many residents fear the lost their pets in the fire. Firefighter were waiting for the fire to cool down before they could check for any pets.

The American Red Cross opened a center for displaced residents at Thornton High School located at 9351 Washington Street.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s