ARVADA, Colo. (AP/CBS4) – A parolee who held a 13-year-old boy hostage for 18 hours in suburban Denver threatened to harm the teen several times, at one point telling a dispatcher, “you’re going to see bad things” unless police backed off.

Police identified the caller as parolee Don Pooley, 34, who was shot and killed Tuesday as police rescued the unharmed boy.

On 911 calls released Wednesday, the caller repeatedly demanded that police get away from the Arvada home where he had taken the boy, whose family has identified as Connor Scott, hostage after fleeing a domestic dispute nearby.

On one call, the boy says in a high-pitched voice, “Help me, please!” Later, he can be heard saying “please” in the background as Pooley, 34, talks to a dispatcher.

“You’re going to see bad things,” Pooley said, breathing heavily. “Get them away from the house. Now! I’m losing my (expletive) temper. I’m about to flip out.”

During the calls, Pooley said: “Get the (expletive) away from the house, now! If I see any more (police) out here, that’s it, your hostage is through … I’m not playing with you lady.”

During the calls, the dispatcher remained calm, disclosing her first name and repeatedly asking Pooley for his name, which he refused to give. Pooley referred to his hostage as a girl and, when he again threatens to hurt the hostage, the dispatcher firmly warns him: “Listen to me, do not hurt that little girl.”

Pooley was shot by police after he went to retrieve some items left by authorities. The boy was carried away by a SWAT officer.

Scott’s family released a statement Wednesday saying he was in good spirits and asking for privacy.

“His strength and bravery through this ordeal is truly amazing and we continue to shower him with hugs and kisses as we all begin to heal,” it said.

Pooley had been sentenced to 10 years in prison in 2008 for possession of a controlled substance, and he was released on parole in October.

He was listed as “absconded” on Jan. 10 after missing a parole meeting, but the Colorado Department of Corrections has refused to release further details of efforts to find him or when an arrest warrant was issued, citing the pending police investigation into the standoff.

RELATED: Man Who Took Teen Hostage Had Recently Violated Parole

Pooley did not have an ankle monitor because he had been convicted of nonviolent crimes, corrections department spokesman Roger Hudson said.

State prison officials revamped procedures for monitoring parolees after Evan Ebel, a white supremacist gang member on parole, slipped out of an ankle monitor last year. Ebel was later tied to two slayings, including the March 19 death of Tom Clements, executive director of the Corrections Department.

It took authorities six days to issue an arrest warrant for Ebel, who died in a shootout with authorities in Texas.

Pooley’s record also included convictions for criminal trespass, escape and unreasonable noise.

Arvada Police Chief Don Wick said the standoff began Monday in the residential neighborhood north of Denver after police responded to a domestic dispute call.

A man later identified as Pooley fled then forced his way into a nearby home where the 13-year-old was home alone.

Police said Pooley and the boy didn’t know each other.

Statement From Ben-Joseph And Scott Families Regarding Their son, Connor Scott

The Ben-Joseph and Scott families would first like to thank God and all of our family, friends and the public for their support and prayers for Connor’s safe return. Our son is safe and home, and our first concern is his care and safety as we try to return to normal life.

Connor is in good spirits and very happy to be back with his family. His strength and bravery through this ordeal is truly amazing and we continue to shower him with hugs and kisses as we all begin to heal.

We would like to give a heartfelt thank you to the Arvada Police Department, Jefferson County Regional SWAT, Westminster SWAT, Lakewood/Wheat Ridge combined SWAT, Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office, Arvada Fire Protection District, Adam’s County Sheriff’s Office and the Department of Corrections for their diligent work in returning our son safely back to us. We would more specifically like to thank Officer Dave Snelling of the Arvada Police Department for his support and assistance through this most trying time; your friendship, caring, and professionalism truly helped us through an impossible situation. Thank you to the Agape Life Church and Pastor Rich for opening your doors to us.

While this incident may be ending, it will be on-going for us as we work to bring our son’s life and family’s lives back to normal. Therefore, we ask that you respect our son’s privacy and allow him to return to his life without interruption from the press.

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s